About time, slow pokes keep right.

Help Support CattleToday:

I agree with this law most of the time but the thing is, it only takes 1 vehicle going a couple miles slower than the fastest car in the left lane to cause problems. Our own state warning signs simply says "Left lane for passing only" which means as soon as you go around a slower car, you are supposed to return to the right or center lane. Few do..they just speed on, getting faster and faster until they eventually wreck, far too often killing someone that is obeying the speed limit.

greybeard":3qt8pv6l said:
I agree with this law most of the time but the thing is, it only takes 1 vehicle going a couple miles slower than the fastest car in the left lane to cause problems. Our own state warning signs simply says "Left lane for passing only" which means as soon as you go around a slower car, you are supposed to return to the right or center lane. Few do..they just speed on, getting faster and faster until they eventually wreck, far too often killing someone that is obeying the speed limit.
This one breaks it down for them...https://www.google.com/search?q=if+no+o ... yvhkwtMCfM:

We've had it here for a few years.. now it's only cops that cruise in the left lane just begging to be passed on the right.

I agree most of the time , but if there is a string of slow movers and I'm passing them at 5 over the limit , I aint getting over because you want to drive 10 over . Just be patient . Crowding my bumper aint going to help .

I've spent a lot of time driving from Mo. to Fla. lately.
I didn't realize just how dangerous it is to drive in the left lane slower than the traffic.
I leave either state, pass by and follow state patrolmen in every state. All are ignoring the speed limit 80-to90 is the normal speed, even for the patrolmen.
One Mississippi patrolman was along the side of the road. When I went by I looked, 87 mph. He never moved, so I didn't slow down.
Right lane for driving, left lane for passing. Oppisite is scary. gs

It's worked well for quite some time in Germany. Pass and immediately get back over because someone else is coming on even faster than you were. Works efficiently and is a pretty basic concept.
I-65 is always jammed up by me; usually because of 2 semis. One doing 65 in the right lane and the feller that wants to pass him in the left lane at 66mph..which takes miles to accomplish. Mix in the Chicagoans and it's enough to put a man on BP meds.

True Grit Farms":3h0sykjz said:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/06/18/indiana-state-trooper-lauded-as-hero-for-pulling-over-slowpoke-driver.html

LMAO. Anyone in rural Kentucky knows that would receive a poor reception. The average vehicle driving on US 62 in Robertson and Mason county averages about 40 mph. There are some old farmers who still drive at Ford Model T speeds.

My brother and I just had this conversation yesterday. The driving habits on US 62 are divided into 3 categories:

1. Normal Conscientious Driving
2. Driving so slow you need to put markers up to confirm they are moving.
And
3. What I call the Drug Driver - they simply drive right down the center of the road ( right over the center line). Speed varies. I suspect they don't know what planet they are on.

Biggest problem with this is the left lane is usually less traveled and wore out. The right lane is broken down, patched and in bad shape compared to the inside lane. Add a little rain to that mix and the outside lane becomes quite dangerous to drive in. The inside lanes aren't a whole lot better on wet roads some times.

I'm quite guilty of driving in the inside lane, but I try to keep an eye on what's coming up behind and move over to accommodate those going faster....not that it happens often, but it does. ;-) I'm going with the flow of traffic. What's truly irritating are the ones that you let by and they pull in front and slow down.....

greybeard":luo0ncwg said:

Yep, and I know of people that have gotten stopped for driving in the left lane, even when they weren't backing up traffic. I don't have a problem with that.

I understand the rule. What I dislike is when I'm doing the speed limit and there is someone going a little slower in front. I get in the left lane to pass and notice a few more that need passing. Then, a line of people line up behind me wanting to go go 10 to 15 over the limit acting as though I should get out of the way. They should cool it.

If you move in to the left lane to pass I have no problem with that. At the first chance you better move back right. Going for 3 or 4 cars when you could have moved over will not fly.

I had a car try to brake check me in the middle of HW 37. They had traffic backed up. People were pissed. Several trucks actually grouped up and ran the car off the road until they stopped in the ditch.

Had another car backing up traffic in the left lane one day. They were brake checking me and I was laughing and honking the horn. There was probably 20 cars backed up behind them. The lady waved her phone at me and then called some one, I assumed it was 911. I waited a minute and called also. I told the dispatch... Did a lady call in complaining of some some tailgating and honking at her. Dispatch said yes. I said flat out... its me. Told dispatch what was going on. She said hold on a minute. Shortly after the car moved over. The dispatch lady said she told her she can not drive in the left lane. A cop pulled her over a couple miles later.

I see stupid stuff like that all the time. The most dangerous people on the road are the ones who don't know the laws and people going slower than the speed limit. Studies are backing that. Its far more dangerous to drive 10 under than 10 over.

As long as you're actively passing, I'll have patience.. but if there's a perfectly good opportunity to move over and you aren't, that drives me nuts.
Once, years ago (before the laws came in) I was behind a car for MILES,.. I was in a lifted Blazer with 40" tires.. it was night time.. I very quickly flash my lights.. wait a minute.. nothing happens, flash them again and he flips me the bird out the window.. OK, GAME ON.. Driving lights, fog lights, high beams, everything came on... he moved over after that... What was so darned hard about moving over to begin with???

It's simply indicative of the 'me centered' culture we live in. Being aware, let alone considerate, of others is too often the rarity. "I want to drive in the passing lane, so by God, I am going to drive in the passing lane and I don't give a dam how many cars are backed up behind me." Might even chat on my cell while im at it, helps me forget there are other people on the highway too. :roll:

Brute 23":20m21lo6 said:
If you move in to the left lane to pass I have no problem with that. At the first chance you better move back right. Going for 3 or 4 cars when you could have moved over will not fly.

As someone else mentioned, it must be a little different in Ky. I've never seen a situation where one driver had traffic backed up and had to be followed for miles. I've seen people itching to get around someone, but it didn't last long. You can always get around a slow poke in one lane or the other.

Why are people in such an all fired hurry anyway? If the limit were 100mph, then there would be a lot of people who would feel the need to do 110. Driving shouldn't have to be such an intense experience.

herofan":870204sn said:
Brute 23":870204sn said:

As someone else mentioned, it must be a little different in Ky. I've never seen a situation where one driver had traffic backed up and had to be followed for miles. I've seen people itching to get around someone, but it didn't last long. You can always get around a slow poke in one lane or the other.

Why are people in such an all fired hurry anyway? If the limit were 100mph, then there would be a lot of people who would feel the need to do 110. Driving shouldn't have to be such an intense experience.

You get on I20 and even the 18 wheelers are doing 80mph. Cars and trucks are doing 85-90. If you are not going with the flow you will get run over.

This is why I so like I-84 in Eastern Oregon. Outside peak hours you can drive in the right lane, the left lane, or just down the middle if you feel like it. At 6:00 in the morning the next car will be a mile or two ahead and the same distance behind you. Occasionally there will a group of trucks bunched up but you can drive a couple hundred miles and see that once.
On the other hand there is no slow lane or fast lane in Seattle. It is four lanes of bumper to bumper all going 70. Trying to change lanes in any direction takes time and planning.

Kinda saw that up in Wyoming a couple weeks ago. Not much traffic. Colorado on the other hand...you just might get run down if you don't do 15 over. :lol:

Latest posts