? about Santa Gertrudis or other % Brahman for beef

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
I have been thinking of fattening a few calves to sell for beef. Have one reserved now. Most of my cattle are Angus, Hereford, or BWF, but do have some Gert and GertX, and a Brahman x Hereford. I am wondering how calves from those cows would do for beef. The basis for my question is when someone came to visit and saw a catalog for a Santa Gertrudis sale on a table, he made some negative comments in regard to their carcass quality, saying that an animal with any percentage Brahman would never marble. I would think that a significant percentage of beef comes from Brahman cross cattle, and that maybe it's more marketing and promoting of other breeds. I am interested in knowing whether or not an Angus or Hereford sired calf from say a Santa Gertrudis cow, would make a good quality beef. I'm not trying to stir up anything, I like Brahman crosses very much, I just don't have much experience with end product of beef in general.

Angus Santa crosses are highly sought after here. The northern Australian herd is mostly Brahman or our Droughtmasters which are bred along the lines of Santa's but show a bit more Brahman characteristics. A lot of these go through the live trade to Indonesia for the wet markets and the high Brahman %age doesn't matter but for the cattle processed in the north a lot of graziers will use Angus bulls so that a higher %age of the carcases will make the MSA grade. Ultrablacks are becoming popular as bulls as that little bit of Brahman seems to help with heat tolerance and ticks.

Ken

Caustic Burno":2uhumfw7 said:
They could never tell the difference
Must have been a Hillary supporter that believes fake news.
80% of the worlds beef is Brahman influenced 40% of the USA herd is. I have often wondered how much is sold under a CAB sign.

http://www.brahman.org/PDFs/Utilizing-B ... ystems.pdf

The fellow probably wasn't a supporter, but he definitely buys into the CAB propaganda. I would guess that quite a few Brahman influenced calves make it into CAB. I personally like Angus, but think it was a shame to see a lot of good Hereford, Santa Gertrudis, Beefmaster, etc. herds lost in the area several years ago. Some of my best producing cows are Brahman influenced,

Ky hills":3garybwn said:
Caustic Burno":3garybwn said:
They could never tell the difference
Must have been a Hillary supporter that believes fake news.
80% of the worlds beef is Brahman influenced 40% of the USA herd is. I have often wondered how much is sold under a CAB sign.

http://www.brahman.org/PDFs/Utilizing-B ... ystems.pdf

The fellow probably wasn't a supporter, but he definitely buys into the CAB propaganda. I would guess that quite a few Brahman influenced calves make it into CAB. I personally like Angus, but think it was a shame to see a lot of good Hereford, Santa Gertrudis, Beefmaster, etc. herds lost in the area several years ago. Some of my best producing cows are Brahman influenced,
I'm feeding out a big azz brangus heifer right now. We shall see. Brangus breeders have done a lot of work on improving marbling as well as rib eye area. Am thinking this girl is going to make some great eating.

Latest posts