? About feed rations

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
We are pretty much slowing down on feeding with grass growing, but still keep some on hand to feed every once in while to keep them gentle and to feed calves and bulls. I had been getting a ration that was corn gluten pellets, soy hulls, cracked corn and dried distillers grain not sure the exact breakdown but that's the order of ingredients by amount. I am thinking about going back to a ration mix that I used to feed that was 1/3 cracked corn, 1/3 soy hulls, and 1/3 corn gluten pellets. My thinking and I'm not sure it's right is that the cattle probably would be just as well off without as much of the gluten and distillers grain.

If they are getting pasture and or hay....then it does not really matter, as long as the protein and energy are there to do what you want.

I use a pellet for growing, but seeing it will be given, I have higher protein and energy over 12mj for decent growth, but along with reqd minerals and a medication, it is even cheaper than the plain cubes which do not detail ingredients and no added minerals etc.

That way the supplement really becomes the base for my calf mob.

Ky hills said:
We are pretty much slowing down on feeding with grass growing, but still keep some on hand to feed every once in while to keep them gentle and to feed calves and bulls. I had been getting a ration that was corn gluten pellets, soy hulls, cracked corn and dried distillers grain not sure the exact breakdown but that's the order of ingredients by amount. I am thinking about going back to a ration mix that I used to feed that was 1/3 cracked corn, 1/3 soy hulls, and 1/3 corn gluten pellets. My thinking and I'm not sure it's right is that the cattle probably would be just as well off without as much of the gluten and distillers grain.

Ky does anyone up your way every have pelleted wheat middlings? It will be 14-15% crude protein, very digestible, adequate energy and cattle will eat them well. Might check into that. No idea what the price would be but all feed companies use them.

TexasBred said:
Ky hills said:

Ky does anyone up your way every have pelleted wheat middlings? It will be 14-15% crude protein, very digestible, adequate energy and cattle will eat them well. Might check into that. No idea what the price would be but all feed companies use them.

Thanks, Texasbred, I haven't heard of anybody using that around here. I will definitely look into it and see if any of the mills have it.

We fed straight DDG to supplement limit-fed hay for the past 12 years, but sold the cows last fall, so no more...
Heard from the neighbor that the local ethanol plant will no longer be selling loads less than 10 tons...I guess us small operators, with our little trailers hauling 3-4 tons at a time are now 'persona non-grata'.

Lucky_P said:
We fed straight DDG to supplement limit-fed hay for the past 12 years, but sold the cows last fall, so no more...
Heard from the neighbor that the local ethanol plant will no longer be selling loads less than 10 tons...I guess us small operators, with our little trailers hauling 3-4 tons at a time are now 'persona non-grata'.
At one time I saw people hauling it out of there in pickups. Building was over flowing with it. That is not my area no more so I haven't been there in 5 years or so.