? About a feeding out calves.

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
I have been feeding out calves that were around 17 or 18 months at slaughter. Wean and winter them on pasture/hay with supplement, run them on pasture in the spring, then bring them in around 3 months to finish. That has been getting hanging weights of 600-700+, and pretty good marbling.
We had a younger calf that was 13 months processed last time done the same way but was too small yield wise.
This year I am thinking of feeding out some calves that will be 15 months at process time. How would it do to confine them in a lot at weaning and put them on feed and push them along? Would they put on too much fat?

I have been feeding out calves that were around 17 or 18 months at slaughter. Wean and winter them on pasture/hay with supplement, run them on pasture in the spring, then bring them in around 3 months to finish. That has been getting hanging weights of 600-700+, and pretty good marbling.
We had a younger calf that was 13 months processed last time done the same way but was too small yield wise.
This year I am thinking of feeding out some calves that will be 15 months at process time. How would it do to confine them in a lot at weaning and put them on feed and push them along? Would they put on too much fat?
You'll get mixed answers on this. It's really going to depend on the genetics of the calf. Catlle are pushed with concentrates later in life at the feed lot, because that's the economical way to do it. grow frame cheap, and add the fat later. I'd say just keep an eye on where it's getting fat at. Them last few ribs start getting covered etc. it's probably time to hang. Doubt any of that helps.

You'll get mixed answers on this. It's really going to depend on the genetics of the calf. Catlle are pushed with concentrates later in life at the feed lot, because that's the economical way to do it. grow frame cheap, and add the fat later. I'd say just keep an eye on where it's getting fat at. Them last few ribs start getting covered etc. it's probably time to hang. Doubt any of that helps.
Thanks for your response.

KY -- as Bigfoot says you will get mixed answers. What you describe is essentially how my program works (due to space/acres). The program I grew up in put weaned calves on grain from the get-go (using ground oats/barley and moving to corn over time). They were then on pasture from green up through fall (but also with a daily grain ration).

However, my experience is that genetics can greatly influence your results. There are sires (in the angus breed) that you don't need to worry about putting frame on. Their yearlings/finished fats will get there no matter what. Relatedly, I tried to pull back on frame with the AI breeding 3 years ago, and now I regret that as the finished animals I have this year are short (ht) and short (length) and unimpressive in terms of gain/final wt. Lesson learned.

KY -- as Bigfoot says you will get mixed answers. What you describe is essentially how my program works (due to space/acres). The program I grew up in put weaned calves on grain from the get-go (using ground oats/barley and moving to corn over time). They were then on pasture from green up through fall (but also with a daily grain ration).

However, my experience is that genetics can greatly influence your results. There are sires (in the angus breed) that you don't need to worry about putting frame on. Their yearlings/finished fats will get there no matter what. Relatedly, I tried to pull back on frame with the AI breeding 3 years ago, and now I regret that as the finished animals I have this year are short (ht) and short (length) and unimpressive in terms of gain/final wt. Lesson learned.
I understand the lack of carcass but do you make up for it in low upkeep, easy fleshing heifers?

@Ky hills - I think you know my program. Obviously, I have growthy calves. They will weigh around 650-750# when I pull them off dam (6-8 mos old). I put them directly on WSC with some protein pellets (Sure Champ Ration Builder) and free choice good mineral. I increase each week as long as they are cleaning up. We butcher at 12-13 months of age with an average 750# carcass easily grading Choice avg to Choice +. They are super tender (young). I don't have a choice of doing it differently because I don't have the space for feedlot calves except during the summer, so this works great with our fall calves born Sept/Oct, butchered mid Oct.
Our 3 this year had carcass wts of : 772, 762 & 756#

I understand the lack of carcass but do you make up for it in low upkeep, easy fleshing heifers?
I really wish I had a GrowSafe system to measure the actual vs the visual. I have retained some heifers from these moderate AI sires and visually I'd describe them as "easy fleshing" -- are they truly low upkeep? IDK. Admittedly, after buying some scales a few years ago, my impressions of my herd cows has shifted (far less concerned with easy fleshing and appearance). Time will tell how they perform.

Well, I have some whales (literally) and they are easy keeping. If you picture an "easy keeper", you would think of a 4-5 FS, 1000# cow. Well, I have mostly 5.5 - 6.5 FS, 1800# cows that are easy keepers (herd avg on MATURE cows is 1700# right now - usually more like 1650#). We weaned our calves Sept 6? - my cow herd is fat as little pigs. Fat pockets at the tail head (ugly!!) I have bred for 50 years for cows that produce on grass in summer and hay in the winter and are fertile myrtles with lots of guts. I guess it has worked. But, we are still grazing lush grasses. Neighbors are still putting up HAY!

Well, I have some whales (literally) and they are easy keeping. If you picture an "easy keeper", you would think of a 4-5 FS, 1000# cow. Well, I have mostly 5.5 - 6.5 FS, 1800# cows that are easy keepers (herd avg on MATURE cows is 1700# right now - usually more like 1650#). We weaned our calves Sept 6? - my cow herd is fat as little pigs. Fat pockets at the tail head (ugly!!) I have bred for 50 years for cows that produce on grass in summer and hay in the winter and are fertile myrtles with lots of guts. I guess it has worked. But, we are still grazing lush grasses. Neighbors are still putting up HAY!
I'm with you Jeanne -- I think the image of easy keeping may differ from the reality.
Drought here all summer meant we've been supplementing with poor hay and corn stalks for more than a month already. It's amazing how quickly a fat cow can decline in BCS when the pickings are slim and the quality is worse. The calves though look pretty decent so we shall see.
I guess it will be an interesting test case for "easy keeping" when we wean in a month. If the cow is in better condition and weans an average calf is that easier to keep than the cow that looks like a worn tire but weaned a calf in the top 10%?

Here's a couple that are going on a load to Tyson tomorrow morning. Their around 18mos. They've been on concrete or slats since they were weaned at 5-600lbs. Good silage,cracked corn, and protein.
They'll probably weigh 1,450. They've never really been pushed, just around 2% of their body weight in cracked corn.
IMG_20210928_140909.jpg
IMG_20210928_141036.jpg

@SBMF 2015 they look ready! Is that silver still a bull?
@Stickney94 good question - but there is no one answer fits all. The cow that is low BCS might be the best milker (most likely is), but if she is bred and bounces right back after weaning, I consider her an easy keeper. As long as they breed back in my 60 day calving season and are a BCS of 6 (or more) by calving, that's a great cow in my book.

I think you'll get a lot of differing answer too. I think you should try your 15 month with feed/off-wean and check it for yourself. For myself, i think the history of cattle have been pushed and toyed with enough....I want cattle to be happy and do their own thing...even if my wallet suffers. They're working for me...I'm working for them. It's an honor and privilege to serve them. We all like to rush things and save money...sure man shall have dominion over animals...but honor them and give back to their lives when you can afford too.

I think you'll get a lot of differing answer too. I think you should try your 15 month with feed/off-wean and check it for yourself. For myself, i think the history of cattle have been pushed and toyed with enough....I want cattle to be happy and do their own thing...even if my wallet suffers. They're working for me...I'm working for them. It's an honor and privilege to serve them. We all like to rush things and save money...sure man shall have dominion over animals...but honor them and give back to their lives when you can afford too.
I have kind of that philosophy too about cattle being toyed with. I think some have tried to turn animal husbandry into rocket science, and messed up more than was accomplished. I'm not being critical of others who do, but we are not even fans of AI, and certainly not ET, though we have done some AI in the past and a lot of the bulls I've bought are AI or ET calves. We don't implant either.
I don't really want to push our calves with feed hard, but enough to steadily grow until it's time to finish and fatten. It seems like that when they are out on pasture/hay with a little supplement through the winter they just maintain with little growth, which is fine with me for heifers to be bred. I'm just looking to get the steer calves to grow some more without getting too fat to quick.

When you say 3 months "finishing" them what does that mean. What kind of restrictions and feed? How much etc?

When you say 3 months "finishing" them what does that mean. What kind of restrictions and feed? How much etc?
I put them in a small lot at around 4 months before and gradually build them up to full feed, with free choice hay at around the 3 months before point. Shelled corn around 20 lbs. maybe a little more.

@SBMF 2015 they look ready! Is that silver still a bull?
@Stickney94 good question - but there is no one answer fits all. The cow that is low BCS might be the best milker (most likely is), but if she is bred and bounces right back after weaning, I consider her an easy keeper. As long as they breed back in my 60 day calving season and are a BCS of 6 (or more) by calving, that's a great cow in my book.
We missed him when we cut them as little calves. I cut him around 800lbs.

Got delivered this morning;
6 hd of smoke hfrs and 4 strs (2blk 2smoke) avg at 1,428lbs.

The people I bought bulls from for years retain ownership on about 400 head. February and March calves that go to the feedlot in late October. The majority go to the plant in April. They shoot for a 3/4 Angus, 1/4 Simme calf. But maintaining that cross they end up with some 50/50 calves (where their replacements come from). And they also run a herd of straight Angus. The bulls I got from them weaned about 800 in October and weighed about 1,100 when I picked them up in April. No creep as calves and no push on the bull over the winter.