? about a bred Jersey heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

Sunny Citizen

Reaction score
Here's the background: Juliette is my only cow - a purebred Jersey that I bottle raised. She is 2 years old. She went to pasture with a Jersey bull this summer. Afterwards, I took her to the vet to be checked - she was short-bred. She's due at the end of March 2014. I try to get my hands on her as much as possible -- especially on her bag and brush her often. She occasionally has some "scabs" on the bottom of her teats that I just pick off. Last night while checking her (and picking off these "scabs", I thought I'd just give her udder a squeeze. I was amazed that I was able to milk a clear liquid from 2 teats.

Should I leave her alone or get this liquid out? If I should be trying to release the liquid, how often??? Daily? Twice daily?

Also, I have not vaccinated her for anything. What do you recommend? When? Is it safe to do while she's pregnant?

My plan is: after she calves, to buy a Jersey bull from a local dairy to put on her -- along with her calf -- and have her be my nurse cow. I really don't want to milk 2x per day -- maybe just on occasion. The bull (steer) would be for the freezer. (This is how I got Juliette - I raised 6 bottle calves - I was supposed to get 6 bulls -- they just happened to send along a heifer, too.)

Leave her udder alone except now to check for mastitis from you having removed the "scabs" and expressed some fluid. Check with your vet to see what shots he recommends for a milk cow in your area.

Latest posts