Abortion

Help Support CattleToday:

raykleykamp

Reaction score
In our herd of 40 cows, we have had two abortions in the last two weeks. Just wandering if this is an excessively high rate and could the quality of our hay (which we were told was mostly bluegrass) play a role? We started feeding them this hay approximately one month ago.

Thanks,

Ray

raykleykamp":rww2uoti said:
In our herd of 40 cows, we have had two abortions in the last two weeks. Just wandering if this is an excessively high rate and could the quality of our hay (which we were told was mostly bluegrass) play a role? We started feeding them this hay approximately one month ago.

Thanks,

Ray

Can be a lot of things moldy hay,lepto,
pine straw,neospora,bangs thats all off the top of my head.

Sorry to hear of your loss. Your vet should be able to do a necropsy...do you have state labs there...they can do this too. At least you'd know the cause and could take action to prevent more problems.

Are your cattle vaccinated?

If not, that would be a place to start. We had one cow that aborted in her last trimester last year. Since she was new to us and I didn't know her vaccination history, I gave her all her vaccinations and boostered 3-4 weeks later. She just had a healthy calf yesterday.

Latest posts