Abortion with Lutalyse

Help Support CattleToday:

PLTannery

Reaction score
Back story...

I have a 15 year old cow who is retired for a really bad udder(she's a pet now) Who we have kept separate from the bull for the last 3 or so years. We had a breech of security in Late May, and my bull got in with her. She cycles irregularly so we figured when the bull was interested in her later in the summer she didn't take with the May breeding... We had a second breech in October and it appeared she was in heat and covered again. At the time I was not familiar with Lutalyse, After speaking with the vet we decided that would be an option as we really don't want her to calve again. So she got the 5ml dose this morning. And I am having a bit of anxiety as I am now not 100% sure she was not bred on the May Breeding and showing false heats. We did not palpate her (my mistake) so I do not know for sure. Will the Lutalyse terminate a pregnancy at approx 6.5 months? Any issues? Do I need to get ahold of my vet for a backup drug?

It is late here and I don't want to bug the vet after hours unless it is necessary.

Thank you in advance.

Shelby

No it won;t do it by itself. Lute and Dex is required this far along.

Shelby, Lute does not always work to abort late pregnancy. 90% in the first 100 days. Only 40% after 150 days.
You may want to still preg check her.

So it would be better to give a cow or heifer a shot of Lute and one of Dex? And do you administer both at the same time? I'm holding heifers back and don't want any problems with early calves.

highgrit":2457l6op said:
So it would be better to give a cow or heifer a shot of Lute and one of Dex? And do you administer both at the same time? I'm holding heifers back and don't want any problems with early calves.
Yes, that's the accepted protocol for aborting them.

dun":1jgnkbgf said:
Dexamethasone
It's the same drug combination used to induce a cow
FYI-Dexamethasone is a steroidal anti-inflammatory used to reduce swelling, temp. inflammation, ect. Used alone, it does not typically cause abortion. The combination of Dex and Lute is the key factor.

dun":3770o0i6 said:
Dexamethasone
Dun, at the vet's advice we give 1cc dex and 2cc pen in the eye for pinkeye. I think there is no issue with that causing a problem but am I correct.

kenny thomas":20x1twp3 said:
dun":20x1twp3 said:
Dexamethasone
Dun, at the vet's advice we give 1cc dex and 2cc pen in the eye for pinkeye. I think there is no issue with that causing a problem but am I correct.
I doubt your vet would have used it if he/she thought there would be any issues

dun":2lea6s7k said:
kenny thomas":2lea6s7k said:
dun":2lea6s7k said:
Dexamethasone
I doubt your vet would have used it if he/she thought there would be any issues
Thanks Dun. But this was a VA Tech vet advising it so waned to be sure. :lol2:

kenny,
Most dexamethasone forumulations on the market are 2mg/ml(I've got some 4mg/ml). The 2mg in a 1ml subconjunctival injection is probably not enough to induce luteolysis and abortion in a pregnant cow/heifer.

It's been decades since I purposely attempted to abort one... but seems like I gave 10ml Dex and the appropriate dose of Lutalyse/Estrumate...but I've slept since then, and that dose may not be correct.

I have to pick up some lute.. I have a heifer that was impossible to get out of the herd (with the bulls) when I wanted to.. I've seen enough of them come into heat by 6 months to be suspect she's been had by 8 months.

Latest posts