abortion and lepto

Help Support CattleToday:

Annie

Reaction score
Hi, I posted last week on a cow aborting her calf 1 month early. To make a long story short we lost twins and also the cow. We had to put the cow down after she tore her utuis and had perintitis.(sp)
The vet examined the calf and found nothing unusual, sent off tissue samples and she just got results back that showed Lepto antibodies. They are going to do more test to determing the accuracy and if positive the type of lepto. i am at a loss as to what to do next. I have 13 cows and heifers left to calve in about a month. Also a mare due to foal in March that had been with the cows. Vet is going to do blood work on 4 cows on Tues and suggested we LA 200 the cows in the mean time.
I vaccinated the cows in March with 8-way, muse, virashield 6 vl5 and Ivomec, in October the recived plain virashield 6, muse, 8 way and pour on. I relize now I need to lepto in the fall also but I was just following the label. Would the tissue samples show antibodies for lepto from the cow being vaccinted? The cow is gone so its too late to test her.
Can I get rid of this? I have 5 yearling bull calves that have been seperate from the herd since october can I sell them? They recieved their lepto last spring. Is my herd doomed?

you need to know what strain of lepto you are dealing with. Most vacines work on 5 strains of lepto, but there are more than 5. Some dairies that have lepto vacinate more than twice a year.

I have used a combination vaccine in the past with 5 strain of lepto and 3 viral.This year 25-30 per cent of our cows were late,very late or did not calve.Vet blood tested the open cows and found some of the highest titres he had ever seen.I went to this vaccine after yers of using 5-way lepto.To combat shipping fever from neighbors' cattle,I changed.The older cows which had had the 5-way origionallydid not have any problems.Vet told me sometimes the big combo vaccines don't cover everything well.Recommend Ivaccinate twice yearly.Guess which one I used.

Mtncows, what did you do about the affected cows? Are they still in your herd.
I also used to use the Lepto ferm 5 and this yr thought it would be nice to stick them 1 less time.
I dont have good comunication with my vet, which is very frustrating, but she acts like it is very rare in our area for a calf sample to come back possitive.
Would anyone like to buy a lovely herd of 25 reg. black angus?

Latest posts