Aborting bred cows.

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
Figured I'd restart the Lute thread again since it'd gone a bit afield. . .

I'm inheriting 4 spring bred cows - taking some back from an elderly customer who isn't doing so well. I just converted everything of my own to a fall calving season. The cows will be 2-3 months bred by the time they hit my place. What I'm wondering about is if I abort their calves and bring them into my program or wait out their next calf and then move them to fall while they're carrying a calf. The worst case scenario would be to attempt to abort and either not get them all aborted so I was still doing some April calving or, obviously, have something go wrong in the abortion process. I could re-sell them, they'd be easier to sell as spring breds in my area. Most likely though, I'd like to keep them based on how their progeny have turned out.

What would you do?

i wouldnt want to abort them either. heck if texas gets any rain you could take them down there this spring and probably get very good money for them or ship them but i'm not sure how much that costs or how hard it would be for them being pregnant.

i went through this last year,i bought 2 reg beefmasters 2 months bred to angus.the buyer says you can lute them an then breed to the reg bulls.i said no because luting a cow could cause her not to breed back.so id calve them out if i was you.

either way you have a gap, but i would rather leave the calf on longer and hold them over the next time. unless the bull is not that great. if you lute the cows they will come in heat a week to ten days after anyway, the last one i did came in right away and i had to make sure she wasn't around a bull. . my vet says 3 weeks to 3 months is the best time to give the shot, that might be to close anyway. them you wasted a shot if it doesn't get rid of the calf. just my 2 cents

I would go ahead and calve them, then wait the extra months and breed along with the rest to get them into the fall program.

A couple of years ago I held one out for few months so she would fit into the spring group. I didn't regret it.

Katherine

Latest posts