Aborted calf - Follow up - Need advise

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasShooter

Reaction score
On Feb 14th I posted this topic.... and by the way thanks for your responses.

[/quote]I have a group of about 10 heifers that should be around 6-8 months pregnant. My bull last year tested at 50% and that's the reason I don't have a more accurate timeframe. A couple of days ago I found what seemed to be an aborted calf approx 40 lbs. The reason I say aborted is because there was no hair, or very little, that I could make out. The calf's head was still in a sac, but the rest of him seemed to be fully developed - head, hoof, tail, etc.

My questions are.... was this an aborted calf and how old? If so, is there any reason to keep a close eye on the heifer? I didn't see any placenta, should I worry?

This heifer gave no outward or physical signs of having a calf - bag filling, discharge, etc. but because I don't know the timeframe when the others should be calving should I worry about the other 9 heifers?

Any input or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,
This is the issue that I need advise.... The cow has been doing just fine. I put her in a lot so I could keep a close eye on her. I tried to get her up last week and give her a shot of LA200 and Complex B, but to make a long story short that didn't happen. Yesterday when I checked on her she was oozing a milky white substance from her vulva. What is this…an infection… a sign of something much worse…. or just their way of cleaning up?

Should I go ahead and give her the shots or get her to the vet? I would like to keep the cow and I especially don't want her to kick over.

Thanks for any responses,

It sounds like an infection to me. You could just give her a shot, but why not do it the right way and have her checked by the vet. That way you'll have the peace of mind that the situation is being properly addressed and the cow will get what she needs.

dun

A lot of times you can take care of a problem by calling the vet too. Explain what happened from start to finish and what you have done so far. Sounds like you are capable of doing some treatment yourself. They can tell you a course of treatment or that they need to come see her. Not every problem needs a trip out by the vet. Saves you a little bit of money too if it is a common thing easily treated.

yes ,calf was around 6or7 months. she has a little infection which will clear in a couple of weeks. yes i would be worried about the others, if another aborts i would get a vet in there

Thanks a bunch all for your comments!
I took the cow to the vet over the weekend. She had retained what I would call the afterbirth. The vet cleaned her out, placed 4 iodine and 4 antibiotics tablets in her, and gave her 4 shots. He told me to watch her and to make sure she doesn't continue to ooze. If she does, bring her back in. He also said if I had any LA200 give her 40CC shot in a couple of days. Bottom line he said she would be fine and still should be able to be a productive cow.

Thanks again for all of your comments. Sometimes I get in a situation where I don't want to over react...a little advise goes along way.

What did he give her 4 shots of? 8 boluses and 4 shots of something sounds like padding the ticket to me

Tapeworm, had to have a vet out to deliver a calf and he too gave a lot of medication like this. I also thought it was a lot and started asking questions. He explained it all very well but unfortunately I don't remember it too well. The jist of it is that he gave stuff for infection and some stuff for the udder and I forget what all else. Says anything for infection will not work for problems with the udder. Stuff for the udder will not work for infection. We also were told to give a shot a few days later - our LA200 was fine for that. He would have to come back out if more trouble with the udder. At least now I feel like I wasn't taken for a ride. That's a good thing about this board. :D

The boluses where probably for th ueterus. Frequently the reason for the number is because of the concentration of the medication in each bolus. The injections could be for edema in the udder, Lasix or something of that sort, or boluses of Naquzone for edema. Oxytocin to help her clean and get the udder to involute(sp)-shrink and get back to size. Also general antibiotics. Maybe a vitamin or even selenium in addition to the others. I must be naive, but I've never noticed the vet giving extra stuff just to pad a couple of bucks on a bill.

dun

I don't recall other than it was another type of antibiotic. The total bill was $32. I thought it was well worth it. I figured it would cost me much more, so when I got the bill I was very pleased.

TexasShooter":2z3zmz11 said:
I don't recall other than it was another type of antibiotic. The total bill was $32. I thought it was well worth it. I figured it would cost me much more, so when I got the bill I was very pleased.

That sounds lioke my kind of vet. But I sometimes wonder how they can make a living at the low prices.

dun

Okay I was just asking...thanks for explaining. 32 dollars is sure cheap enough...doubt if I would do it for that for somebody else. LOL

Latest posts