Abcess on leg?

Help Support CattleToday:

sidney411

Reaction score
I have a call in to my vet, waiting on a call back.
While I was waiting I thought I would post a question to see if anyone has any suggestions....
I noticed a cow on Saturday that has what I think is an abcess on the back of her hind leg. I did not notice this last weekend. I put her in the chute and it is about the size of a foot ball, it is quite firm. It is warm like it has fever in it. I stuck a needle in and could not get anything out. I lanced a small spot and squeezed it and nothing but a little blood came out. It is affecting her movemnet and walking, but not her eating. I gave her a shot of Pen-G and put her in a small pasture. Is there anything else I can do short of taking her to the vet. I have never seena cow with an abcess so I'm not sure what to do. Thanks!

u will have to wait till it localizes in order to drain it poking and proding before theres a soft spot will only further the inflamation U can try applying topical creams or lotions such as Icthamol or Dmso either will help draw it to a head U will know because there will be a soft spot that u can lance open Penicillin should help alot

Latest posts