Abcess on calf?

Help Support CattleToday:

Oaklands

Reaction score
Hi - I'm new to the forum. I have a 100 acre property on the east coast of Australia where I run a few head of mainly Charolais cattle. I have one remaining Angus cow which I can't seem to part with! Her latest calf has developed a large black lump or cyst on its neck / shoulder area when it was about 3 weeks old. It is now 8 weeks old. It is like half a tennis ball. Quite round and smooth. The calf is showing no signs of distress and is growing normally, feeds well and runs around as much as the other calves.

I decsribed it to a vet friend who suspected it is an abcess caused by a puncture wound. His feeling was to leave it alone. I am only at the property on weekends and he was concerned that if I lanced it, it would need regular dressing to avoid further infection.

Being a newbie to the forum I'm struggling to add a pic.

Interested in anyone's thoughts.

Mark

I would say if your friend is a vet, and you can't be there all the time to tend to the redressing, leave it. Especially if the calf isn't showing any signs of stress or sickness. If there's no stress there, why create it?

Thanks for your thoughts. I have a good pic of it but can't figure out to post it. Can anyone help!!

Mark

I insert a needle Into the suspected abscess. If it drains white puss you can cut a dime size hole in it and let it drain. Flush the hole out with an iodine water mixture and spray with fly spray. You don't need to dress the would thru the week. Just check it on the weekend and make sure to spray with fly spray again if needed. Any way, I know we are miles apart, but that's what I do with em. Sometimes you may have to cut and drain again a few weeks later.