Abbreviations

Help Support CattleToday:

talldog

Reaction score
I'm tapping into my learned friends here to help me with alot of the abbreviations you'll use describing cattle. Some are evident, aka BW, but most are not. Please share with us beginers your knowledge !!!!!! Thanks for your time ! :help: :help:

talldog":s0grs47x said:
I'm tapping into my learned friends here to help me with alot of the abbreviations you'll use describing cattle. Some are evident, aka BW, but most are not. Please share with us beginers your knowledge !!!!!! Thanks for your time ! :help: :help:

OK, here are some

WW - Weaning Weight
ADG - Average Daily Gain

Some breeds

AA or BA - Aberdeen Angus (Black Angus)
RA - Red Angus
HH - Horned Hereford
HP - Polled Hereford
CH - Charolais
TT - Tarentaise
GV - Gelbveih
SM - Simmental
LM - Limosin
SS - Shorthorn

EPD - Expected Progeny Difference, CE/CED - Calvgin ease/calving ease direct (that animals ability to have easily born calves), CEM/CETM - Calving ease maternal the ability of that animals daughters ability to calve easily.

randiliana":2crx0a8m said:
talldog":2crx0a8m said:

OK, here are some

WW - Weaning Weight
ADG - Average Daily Gain

Some breeds

AA or BA - Aberdeen Angus (Black Angus)
RA - Red Angus
HH - Horned Hereford
HP - Polled Hereford
CH - Charolais
TT - Tarentaise
GV - Gelbveih
SM - Simmental
LM - Limosin
SS - Shorthorn

Sorry, but Tarentaise is TA. Here is a link to the "master list" of breed codes: http://www.naab-css.org/guidelines/breed.html

Don't know if this is in the books or not. We may have inventorated this term out of necessity.

MI - Motherly Instinct (ranges from 1 - 10. 1 is a pettable docile animal. 10 would just as soon kill you as look at you) Seems to work well anyway.

Keep in mind that for some traits each breed associaiton has their own abbrev. Some don;t have anything for some traits.

BWF - Black with white face.
Comp. Composite
(Dairy term here...DIM - Days in milk.)
SC - Scrotal circumference
Pen. - Penicillin
Dex. - Dexamethasone

Katherine

cwt = hundred-weight (I didn't know that one when we started, but it's entirely possible I was just more ignorant than most)
REA = ribeye area
DIP = daughters in production
Prog = No. of progeny
WDA = weight per day of age
TM = Total maternal EPD

Good point, Dun, that some are unique to certain breeds.

Latest posts