AA PRF Wideload...

Help Support CattleToday:

I like the bull phenotypically, but don't think he is a heifer bull. For what its worth I believe that Boomer 46B is probably the Remitall bull that left the most usefull progeny of all their bulls.

The answer to your question is: Realistically, it depends on the skeletal structure and CE and BW of the heifer. Generally speaking - NO.

DOC HARRIS

I wondered if it would be wise to use him on a heifer. I hope more people have had experience with him and can give some info.

RD-Sam":2ler09iw said:
What are your opinions of this bull? Would you use him with a heifer? http://www.lagrandranch.com/hereford/si ... eload.html

I've seen the bull and really like him. Would I use him on heifers? Like Doc' said, it would largely depend on the heifer, her size, and background. If I valued my sleep during calving season - probably not. If I thought the "slight" risk of a problem occurring, requiring my loss of sleep to check heifers regularly, was more than outweighed by the benefits I'd gain by using him over a "so-called" calving ease bull, I would. I doubt he'd throw you a calf that would give you any serious problem, as long as your heifer was truly big enough and you'd managed her nutrition properly.

George

He has a +4.6 birth weight EPD. Most of the Hereford breed and 90++% of the Angus breed sire lighter calves. Why risk the heifer???

Brandonm22":31i9z5hj said:
He has a +4.6 birth weight EPD. Most of the Hereford breed and 90++% of the Angus breed sire lighter calves. Why risk the heifer???

I was just asking, alot of people on here say they should be able to have a large calf without any problem.

Why not use a proven heifer bull.. legend, K16, Karat. Those are just a few. If I have invested the time and money to raise a heifer I don't feel it is necessary to risk her on what likely will not be her best calf.. In my opinion i'd wait to use the higher BW bulls for second and third calves.. jmo tho

Baldie Maker":1czc41o5 said:
Why not use a proven heifer bull.. legend, K16, Karat. Those are just a few. If I have invested the time and money to raise a heifer I don't feel it is necessary to risk her on what likely will not be her best calf.. In my opinion i'd wait to use the higher BW bulls for second and third calves.. jmo tho

Are those even registered, I didn't find any of those names that had registration or EPD's? I have no interest in unregistered bulls or bulls with no EPD's.

RD-Sam":1s624myk said:
Baldie Maker":1s624myk said:

Are those even registered, I didn't find any of those names that had registration or EPD's? I have no interest in unregistered bulls or bulls with no EPD's.

Try searching this

Feltons Legend 242
Anhinga Vic S84 K16
Gerber Karat

I've seen some outstanding calves out of K16 and phenotypically he is more my idea of what a hereford should be.

242 and K16 are on genex and select sires has karat if that helps.

I wouldn't use Wideload on heifers. Just curious, what benefits do you see in using the Red House bull? The picture of him is interesting. I like the K16 advice.

RD-Sam":2t7eoj6j said:
Brandonm22":2t7eoj6j said:

I was just asking, alot of people on here say they should be able to have a large calf without any problem.

I don't disagree with that as a concept but if you look him up

http://www.herfnet.com/online/cgi-bin/i ... 582321252F

over 70% of the Hereford breed is better on birth weight than he is. She should be able to handle him when she is full sized but most 2 year olds still have growing to do.

CPL":15durkwn said:
242 and K16 are on genex and select sires has karat if that helps.

I wouldn't use Wideload on heifers. Just curious, what benefits do you see in using the Red House bull? The picture of him is interesting. I like the K16 advice.

He has a little more length, great growth numbers, high scrotal, high IMF, and his $ numbers are through the roof.

KNERSIE":27mpwgaf said:
RD-Sam":27mpwgaf said:
Baldie Maker":27mpwgaf said:

Try searching this

Feltons Legend 242
Anhinga Vic S84 K16
Gerber Karat

I've seen some outstanding calves out of K16 and phenotypically he is more my idea of what a hereford should be.

I like the looks of 242 and K16, don't care much for Karat. K16 seems to have a better EPD. Have you seen any problems at all with his calves?

My personal feeling is that you would be playing with fire by using the wideload bull on heifers. I would use a bull like SHF Progress, 242d, or just something with a little better calving ease.

The red house bull looks terrible in his picture (my personal opinion). I don't think that is what we need to be breeding (all based on a picture, I have not seen the bull in person)

I like the looks of 242 and K16, don't care much for Karat. K16 seems to have a better EPD. Have you seen any problems at all with his calves?

I don't like Karat either, 242 has some very good characteristics and some not so good ones. K16 is the complete package although he could have more pigment. He sires very good well set eyes though. I like the type he sires, moderate and very thick in all the right places.

I judged a show last year where I made a K16 son the bullcalf champion and also the two bulls bred by sire class was won by 2 K16 sons. I wasn't the senior judge otherwise a K16 daughter would have been the junior champion female as well.

C'mon guys, where's your sense of "adventure"? Personally, I'd rather take a chance on pulling a calf with Wideload than breed a heifer to Legend or Progress. And I think it was OLF that reported having a 110 lb. Progress calf? Of course that's up north and apparently out of a big cow!

At least take a step up to Harland or Rib Eye and also get some "grow" in your calf.

Based on the photo, I agree with Keren on Red House:

Keren":30ugttc1 said:
He'd make a really beautiful heifer ...

I don't know anything about him, but I also like the looks of the K16 bull. I'm betting that he's not what you wanted EPD/performance wise though, RD-Sam?

George

Latest posts