a year later

Help Support CattleToday:

ROB

Reaction score
this is Reno - i posted a picture of him about a year ago, here he is now. born 3-8-07, WW 703 without creep), YW 1181. presently he weighs around 1500 lbs. would like to hear any and all comments. around here its difficult to get a good picture on level ground :)

ROB

picture on 8-28-07
101_3065.jpg

pictures on 8-5-08
DSCF0793.jpg

DSCF0789.jpg

DSCF0783.jpg

DSCF0785.jpg

He grew really really good. Was that just grass or did he see any feed? Will he be used for breeding?

he was on hay and grain after weaning. i tried to maintain 1% body wt. (corn & protein). since late april he has been on grass only. currently i have him with (10) 4-9 year old cows that calved this spring.

ROB

TNMasterBeefProducer":n6d2u9q9 said:
He is thick, he is massive, has decent scrotal circumference, I do not like his sheath. It looks a bit sloppy (brammer) he also has a great big ole head. That head may or may not be a problem during calving. What did he weigh at birth? That is pretty good yearling weight, however, I like to see more.

he weighed 86 lbs at birth, his yearling weight could have been much higher- but i didn't feed the bull to post high ADG or YW, wanted more to keep him in good condition. although braunvieh's typically have a large head - this bull would look a lot better in that regard if he had been dehorned early on.

ROB

Rob,

He should definitely add some thickness, muscle, and bone. He undoubtedly has some good things about him. I hope he works well for you. I think the Braunvieh breed brings a lot to the table.

EC

I can't believe I'm saying this but I agree with TMB on the sheath issue, and you're right if he had been dehorned young he would have a cleaner looking head. Having said that. I think he's a real good young bull , and based on what you have posted here in the last few days it seems like you're sure headed in the right direction, with your breeding program.

gertguy":m2mj5z6v said:
i like your pastures. OG or fescue? Some great looking clover.

a little of both. this year the OG and white clover was tremendous. we have had way way way more rain than average. the red clover was mediocre though - doesn't look like there will be any second cutting of it. right now, lespodezia is coming on strong- hopefully that will attract a few more quail. this years haycrop averaged nearly 4.5 bales/acre (5' bales) which is really good in our area. hayground and pastures received 200# of 19-19-19. A grazing paddock that had been used 3 times earlier on i hayed last week. it still made over 2.5 bales/acre. ground that had been aerated 2 years ago had lots better forage quality than ground not aerated. planning on renting the aerator again this fall.

ROB

TNMasterBeefProducer":12y4fveg said:
86 pounds is not to terribly bad on birthweight.

its below the breed average of 87 pounds for bulls. breed average for heifers is 80 pounds i think. this bulls sire averaged 85 pound bull calves and 78 pound heifers. at those weights we don't have any trouble-unless they're breach.

ROB

DOC HARRIS -

in case you didn't get the PM, thanks for your assessment.

ROB

ROB":fu3zywy1 said:
DOC HARRIS -

in case you didn't get the PM, thanks for your assessment.

ROB
Rob-

Thanks for this post. The fact is, I DIDN'T get the PM! I detest going to war with Quest, but that is the next move on the docket - -AGAIN! I have discussed this problem with Macon, the CattleToday Forum members, and then tried to communicate with Quest through the Philippines, India, Canada, and finally - Boise, Idaho! Somewhere along the line - I got hosed! :shock: :???:

DON'T GET ME STARTED!

DOC HARRIS

Latest posts