A "what would you do" scenario

Help Support CattleToday:

M.Magis

Reaction score
I had a long story typed out, but I'll try to keep this short so as to not waste anyone's time. I've got a calf born Sat I'm a little concerned about, but not sure it's justified. It appears to be a preemie, I tubed it with about ½ a quart of colostrum supplement shortly after birth (more to this story as to why), and it looks like it MAY have sucked it's mom by Sun morning. It's very small, doesn't get around great, but the last few times I checked it Sun it was always up and walking, though far from being steady. I'm actually a little unsure if it can even see, it just wanders like it can't. I did see it search out the cows teats and bang around a little Sun evening, but never saw it actually nurse. The cow's teats have grown the last few years and this was her last year for that very reason (that and her rear quarters are no good). They're not huge, but certainly big for such a small calf. At what point do you determine a calf is or isn't getting enough to eat? A lot is dependent on what I find when I get home from work. If I have to bottle feed it to keep it alive I certainly will, but I want to give the cow every chance to do her job. I just don't want to wait too long at the calf's expense.

Check it's flank (the triangular-shaped area between his spine, ribs, and hip. If it looks sunk in I'd be concerned. If it's full then the calf is probably getting enough.

First thing first, is making sure it nurses. Either by sitting there watching and waiting it out, or catching the cow and getting the calf latched on, or separating them a few hours and then see if it sucks when returned.

Do you have them contained where you can easily help the calf &/or work on the cow? As Rafter said, I check the flank first but I also stick my finger in the calf's mouth to see if it sucks. Doesn't always work but if they suck they're generally hungry & will try to nurse their mama. We've had a couple preemies and a goat or lamb nipple seems to work the best getting them started if you do need to nurse the calf. You may also want to try Nursemate ASAP (I get it from Valley Vet). One of our preemies couldn't stand on her own for quite a while but I worked with her 3 - 4 times a day, holding her up between my legs & walking with her. When she was able to get up/around on her own she looked like a drunken sailor, similar to what you're describing. BTW our 1st preemie just had her 4th calf & the 2nd/drunken sailor preemie had her 1st this year :)

Supa Dexta":2dta8cyc said:
First thing first, is making sure it nurses. Either by sitting there watching and waiting it out, or catching the cow and getting the calf latched on, or separating them a few hours and then see if it sucks when returned.

^^^ what he said :nod:

I'm cautiously optimistic so far. Hung around for an hour or so after work, but he never got up. Took my boy to scouts and came back a couple hours later at dark. He had moved, and both times looked alert. Tough to tell while he was laying down, but he looked much more "filled out" than the day before. He also had some drops of what almost had to be milk on his back, and she's not leaking, so I think he's nursing. A smart guy would have made sure it was milk, not sure why I didn't think of it.
Overall, if I didn't see what this calf went through Sat I wouldn't give it a second thought. He look like a normal healthy calf now. I'll check him again this morning and try to catch him nursing. Thanks for the advice.

Udders do look good and clean, though I would have liked to see them look more drained. They both have looked really full each time the last two days, though Sun morning one looked like it was drained. Here's a couple poor pics from Sunday evening. You can sort of tell he's still pretty unsteady, and this was about 30 hours after being born. But considering I was certain I was about to watch him die Sat afternoon, he's doing well. It was lucky it was on a Sat, if it was during the week he'd have never made it.

pictures upload

upload image online

Cute little duffer! Preemies & small calves don't need as much milk but nurse more often (at least that's been my experience) so you probably won't see her teats completely drained for a while.

If the cow is a heavy milker, a small calf won't drain her at all.. I have several that have big calves and they have absolutely full udders for 2 weeks and leak milk everywhere.. If this guy is getting more alert and getting around, I'd be cautiously optimistic as well :)

check the hair above his nose after you think he has nursed it will be greasy looking. its easier to see on black calves but when the cow is a heavy milker they get it all over their face swapping teats