A walk through the steer calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Weaned everything yesterday afternoon, weighed and shipped them out today. Everything went well, even beat the snow. One truck was a few hours late but that happens. Thought I'd share a little walk through the steers before we sorted them for weight class.

Very nice, consistent steers.

Some really nice ones..... as a whole pretty darned good. You can really grow them up north... funny how you have a shorter growing/grazing season, yet you get much more growth than we do down here in Va. Same with the deer... we have deer coming out our ears this year, got one with my truck the other morning on the way to work AGAIN... average at least one a year... but the northern bucks my family has gotten in VT are bigger than the ones we have here, but they are far more scarce .
Great that you got them out before snow...

Hope mine weigh out that well. Depending how hauling panels and setting things up goes today I might send the bigger steers on Tuesday.

Nice looking bunch Silver! How many pot loads did you end up shipping and how much shrink do you think you had from weaning till loading the next day?

Nice looking bunch Silver! How many pot loads did you end up shipping and how much shrink do you think you had from weaning till loading the next day?
Thank C. We loaded 3 tri-axel liners, but I did put a few pencil cull cows on the last liner to fill it up.
Those calves settled down pretty good overnight. They were on feed and water, and cleaned up a fair bit of hay. I'm going to throw a WAG out and say 2% shrink. But that's just a guess, they looked in great condition going on the trucks.

I agree they looked good for being weaned over night. When I sell to backgrounder I get hit with a 2% shrink because the buyer gets hit with a 2% shrink when he ships them at 900lbs to the feed lot.

Thanks for the nice words. In the end they averaged 672 lbs straight through.
Took about 60 of 90 a couple weeks late because they got out into a big pasture the night before I planned to sell Steers I took averaged 663lbs - Heifers 643lbs. Steers were about $1250/hd average and Heifers about $1075. Have to figure out the forward contracting business maybe but we won't go broke doing what we're doing.

One main group of Charx steers went $1.9 x 655. They cut out the biggest one, he weighed 745 and sold for $1.86. I'm still not seeing where I'm losing money as they get bigger. Saw some Hereford heifers weighing 442 bring$1.6, I had one heifer that low but she weighed 630lbs. I think I'll stick with my Charolais bulls, lol.

Steers were about $1250/hd average and Heifers about $1075.
Rydero I see that you're in Canada and have no idea where you sell but I assume those prices are CAD and not USD.
To put it into perspective for me in the US, the exchange rate is $1 CAD = $0.81 USD.
That's a good price for your calves, you did well.

Latest posts