A view from across the pond

Help Support CattleToday:

My belief is that guns don't kill people, people kill people. The tragedy the happened in Connecticut was horrible, no question about it. But if we're concerned that people are getting killed by guns then why don't we take all the cars off the roads. After all, there are many times more people killed by cars every day than there are folks killed by guns in a year.

The young man that committed this horrific crime was deranged. His mother tried to get help for her son but was refused. Why don't we punish the system that denied help for her son?

What about the liberal media that ran this story in front of the world for days so that there can be no human being on earth that doesn't know about it and perhaps this fosters in the mind of some other deranged person that "this is cool, I think I'll go and kill a bunch of innocent children".

I don't know where this is going to end but trying to take guns away from law abiding citizens is not the way to go. Neither is publicizing it to the extent the liberal media did.

Jogeephus,

Although the article appeared the British paper "The UK Guardian", did you notice that the author of the article is Thomas Sowell? Sowell is an Amereican who is a professor at Stanford University. He's a columnist who writes for many newspapers in America.

G. Gordon Liddy used to call him "The smartest man in America".

Tom in TN

Not familiar with him but it doesn't surprise me if he is deemed one of the smarter people which would put him travelling in different circles than me. Am surprised they'd print this in the UK though. :???:

Heard that already there was a potential "copycat" on the school shootings.
Read that some gal down in Arizona who worked in a school posted something on a you tube or some related type site that she planned on blowing up, or shooting up the school where she worked.
Someone in Toronto saw it and called the cops, and they called the cops in ARizona.
These people shouldn't have any kind of media attention at all. Seems other twisted warped people decide they can get 15 minutes of world wide fame by copy catting this kind of garbage...

I found it very tacky and cold hearted to start up the gun control debate rhetoric before those poor children were even laid to rest.

I read somewhere that the mother was getting over 250k a year alimony. She could have afforded some help for her son it seems like. And she made a big error in judgement by not having her guns better secured. She has paid for her shortcomings with her life. Hopefully anybody else that has a mentally ill person in their household and also owns guns will learn from this tragedy and practice better security. That seems to be the lesson to take away from this awful thing, personal responsibility with your guns.

MO_cows":370cyo80 said:
I found it very tacky and cold hearted to start up the gun control debate rhetoric before those poor children were even laid to rest.

I read somewhere that the mother was getting over 250k a year alimony. She could have afforded some help for her son it seems like. Didn't hear this but yes, very true. And she made a big error in judgement by not having her guns better secured. She has paid for her shortcomings with her life. Hopefully anybody else that has a mentally ill person in their household and also owns guns will learn from this tragedy and practice better security. That seems to be the lesson to take away from this awful thing, personal responsibility with your guns. Again, you're right on the money!!

A police officer should be present and required by law if an area or building is declared a gun-free zone.

The only thing that stops a bad man with a gun is a good man with a gun.

This is the only type of gun control that works, and it does not infringe on any of our rights.

Jogeephus":2fys26al said:
Not familiar with him but it doesn't surprise me if he is deemed one of the smarter people which would put him travelling in different circles than me. Am surprised they'd print this in the UK though. :???:

Jo

That paper is often worth the time to follow - it is one I always read when I am on the road.

No matter what the article says, it is very enlightening to read the comments that follow - something that few do

You will see that the Brits as a whole are a whipped people who have given up on themselves and their country. It is my belief that the majority of them now look at life through rose coloured glasses and stand in line to wait for their government to do for them - rather than doing for themselves.

Look at them to see where your country is headed if the left has its way.

Considering how stalwart and straight forward the Brits used to be - and how they actually once had a very true saying - "the sun never sets on the Empire" - they have gone downhill in a big way.

Merry Christmas

Bez

Bez, I agree. I have some good friends from the UK and we have some terrific discussions on this very subject and they would agree with you wholeheartedly. I guess you would call them conservatives but at the same time they have some beliefs which I feel are still a bit liberal and I give them food for thought. I find it very enlightening to ask them about certain issues our government tries to get us to buy into. A good one is this animal tracking system which we are told works so great in the EU. However, in talking with them its anything but and we as cattle producers need to fight this tooth and nail and not give one inch toward. Also on the gun control, did you know they paid for the pistols when they confiscated them but they have never paid for the other firearms on the second collection? Just stole them. Also, just two weeks ago a retired soldier found a shotgun in his back yard and he wrapped it in a garbage bag and carried it to the police station to turn it in. He has now been sentenced to 5 years in prison because he was not licensed to "possess it" even though it was just to turn it in to the police. Its insane and this same insanity is what they want to krame down our throats.

But there is hope for the UK as I think they can be taught. Here is my friend from Manchester only after spending a few days with me. Proof, that while they talk funny they can be taught. :nod:

Cook004.jpg

We had a fellar from Hungary in the neighborhood a while back. Seemed like a nice fellar. I tried to teach him a little bit.We spent a good bit of time talking about apples and how best to store them.

Red Bull Breeder":s36aje3g said:
We had a fellar from Hungary in the neighborhood a while back. Seemed like a nice fellar. I tried to teach him a little bit.We spent a good bit of time talking about apples and how best to store them.

Must have been the same fellow who wandered down this way and wanted to learn how to store possum grapes

He had a good handle on what to do with them Jed. We just discussed the equipment involved. Just old hillybilly folklore more or less. Might have beem Ouachita.

:lol2: Those containers do a good job storing grapes and what nots. Haven't leaked in many many years. What was hilarious to me was when one of them took a sip of some clarified rye my brother's cousin's nephew's best friends father in law's coworker made and the look on his face was like he experienced some grand epiphany. He took another sip and exclaimed that the moonjuice tasted like irish whiskey from the higher elevations of Ireland. I just laughed and asked him what did he expect it to taste like and he said he didn't know but he sure didn't expect it to taste that good. But after delving into the peach nectar he was grinning from ear to ear. :lol2: