a tiny calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Betty

Reaction score
Our calves birth weights are all over the map this year, but average 80 lbs.
We had a 62 lb tiny heifer born l wk early. She seems healthy, but is tiny and super fine boned.
We looked and looked and LOOKED for a twin,didn't find one.
My question is if others have had this experience. Since our weather refuses to straighten out we have her and mom in a shed protected from elements.
Thanks! :compute:

My tinyest calf in the fall 2 yrs ago was 68# and she turned out to be our show winning heifer. (Supreme Champion) born to a 2 year old. As long as mom has plenty of milk, she should be fine.
As far as looking for a twin - did you check IN the cow?

Which breed? I had a 50 pound bull that didn't grow at all, but have had 56 to 64 pound heifers that grew pretty good. Mine are angus.

Angus.
Maybe she's a lowline!
We have had some small calves from our clean-up bull. But a heifer born today weighed 99lbs, same sire. The cows are 1/2 sisters.
I think this calf is a twin. There was evidence in the pasture that this cow had moved several hundred yards from water breaking, to calving, to cleaning, to where I finally found her and the tiny baby.
Three or 4 separate "I laid here" spots, looked awfully busy for the effort it must have taken to deliver this tiny calf.
I did not check "in the cow" as she had cleaned and was not straining or producing any discharge, eats etc. That's a good thought. :oops:

I'd check the cow herself, but a 62 pound calf is not all loss. If the moma gives enough milk, she may catch up quick. Regardless, with prices like they are, every live calf is money on the ground! Big or not. Say she does turn out small. You run her through the stockyard at 6 months and most will assume she's just young and pulled off of moma, and you won't get docked.

Smallest Registered Angus we've had was a 48lb , born on time, heifer. We named her Tinkerbell - lol. SHe was a 4.26 frame at yearling. weaned 595lbs, yearling was 830lbs and weighed 1398lbs April of 2010. Awesome momma cow!
Valerie

Sounds familiar. We have a very nice heifer that had a 45 lb bull calf. I too looked for a twin. The calf is now 2 months old and still very short framed but very stocky. I don't think he is going to be very big. Calf is from our brother of Objective that usually has 80 - 90 lb calves.

This year i had angus sired calves(out of brangus cows) weigh around 35lbs and the same with a red angus plus bull sired calves out of brangus. I didnt weigh the calves myself, but i picked them up to tag them and they were no where near the weight of a bag of cubes or my 48lb dog. They were healthy at birth. All my calves usually range from about 60-75 lbs depending on the bull.(Black angus averaged around 60-65 and teh red angus plus bull 70-75). Each bull threw a couple of those small calves.
Claves walked right under their moms and were so small that they walked right throught the bars of my pen(they are spaced about 12inches from top to bottom calves were taller than that but that shows how small their bodies were)

Calves look fine now and you cant tell the difference. They are short and stocky just how i like them!!!!

62# is not too tiny to succeed... heck, our average birthweight is usually between 60# and 70#!

We like them to grow better on the outside where there's more room to grow!

Latest posts