a shorthorn question. ????????

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

If you breed a reg. polled shorthorn heifer to a reg. horned shorthorn bull, can you reg. the calf?? I know that they are in the same herd book, but can some one help????
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

If they are both in the same herdbook, you can. You will lose the polled designation on the calf however, maybe getting a scurred calf, or just a notation denoting a horn gene.<p>Jason Trowbridge<br>Southern Angus Farms<br>Alberta Canada
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":1cgm1sw8 said:
: If you breed a reg. polled shorthorn heifer to a reg. horned shorthorn bull, can you reg. the calf?? I know that they are in the same herd book, but can some one help????<br>Yes by all means you can register the calf in the shorthorn herdbook. I am not 100% sure of the American herdbook but here in Canada you can. Contrary to what Jason has told you, a calf only has horned or polled on his pedigree based on it's phenotype and not on it's genotype.<br>My family has been breeding Shorthorn's for 6 generations now and we have both polled and horned shorthorns in our herd. You can get a polled or horned calf out of mating a horned cow and polled bull depending on what each animals gentype is.<br> Sincerely,<br> Cam Crogie<br> Glencromar Shorthorns<br> Douglas, Ont.<br> Canada. <br>
<br>

[email protected]

> : If you breed a reg. polled
> shorthorn heifer to a reg. horned
> shorthorn bull, can you reg. the
> calf?? I know that they are in the
> same herd book, but can some one
> help???? Yes by all means you can
> register the calf in the shorthorn
> herdbook. I am not 100% sure of
> the American herdbook but here in
> Canada you can. Contrary to what
> Jason has told you, a calf only
> has horned or polled on his
> pedigree based on it's phenotype
> and not on it's genotype. My
> family has been breeding
> Shorthorn's for 6 generations now
> and we have both polled and horned
> shorthorns in our herd. You can
> get a polled or horned calf out of
> mating a horned cow and polled
> bull depending on what each
> animals gentype is.
> Sincerely, Cam Crogie
> Glencromar Shorthorns
> Douglas, Ont.
> Canada. By all means YES! Our family has been raising Shorthorns since 1932 and some of the best bulls have & still are horned bulls being used. I am a member of the Amarican Shorthorn Assn. and polled cattle have a x before their registration # and @ end of their name to distinguish them.

[email protected]

Latest posts