A Question to Our Members.

Help Support CattleToday:

I think most of us know about the advantages of a good crossbred cow, and the right blend of cross-bred steer. However, there is still a need for the purebred animal to maintain the F1 possibility, and to prevent the mongrelization of the nation's cowherd.

I chose Herefords for a variety of reasons: Grandpa had them and I watched them perform side by side with other breeds and cross-breeds. I tasted the difference in the beef before I had developed a breed bias, and the difference DID help me develop a breed bias. Like Aaron, I don't think there is anything prettier than a Hereford. When it comes to the total package of feed and forage efficiency as a breed typical trait, good disposition, availability of genetics to fit most parts of the world, beef quality, availability of genetics to grow with the best, cold hardiness, reasonable heat tolerance, ability to get out and rustle, and they complement anything you cross them with, they are hard to beat IMO.

I do still run bulls natural service.

When I started helping my uncle and dad out years ago in the cattle business, I realized the importance of cross breeding. I really did not have much of a choice since most of my rainbow cattle were "hand-me-downs" back about 10 years ago. I think most producers have a plan in mind and usually stick to it. I think most are doing the AI thing now except me. For me, its best to just continue to cull my cows, change bulls when I need to or want to. My cousin runs a 500 cow ranch, and they do a little of both.. AI and use 4 bulls of two different breeds. (Limousin and Angus...both black/polled homo)

TexasBred":srabwmxa said:
ALACOWMAN":srabwmxa said:
with over 6000 members....its hard too get that many too all agree on brangus ;-)

Ala....well I'll at least "2nd" that motion. Now for the other 5898. :)

Aye. They do okay in the heat here. 5897 now TB

CattleHand":29fb7cyb said:
"...I was just curious and wanted to here some comments about why many of you are concerend about what breeds you have on your farm..."

For me, maybe it's just 'cause there isn't nothin' prettier then black cattle on green pasture with blue sky behind em' ! :D

Really, I wouldn't mind a bit of red........ :)

I'M LIKE MY USER NAME SUGGESTS, POORFARMER, HAVE BEEN FOR MANY YEARS.
WE HAVE ALWAYS HAD DIFFRENT KINDS OF CATTLE. AND HAVE HAD PURE BRED STUFF TO.
TO ME RAISING CATTLE IS JUST A THING I WAS BROUGHT UP TO DO AND HAVE. I DONT TRY AND MAKE A LIVING ON THEM, SOMETIMES I MAKE MONEY AND SOMETIMES I DONT. MY FAMILY JUST LIKES THE LIFE STYLE AND GET PLEASURE FROM WORKING CATTLE AND SEEING WHAT EACH DAY BRINGS FROM THEM.
THE GRANDKIDS COME AND HAVE A BALL BEING AROUND VARIOUS ANIMALS AND LEARNING THINGS ABOUT THEM OTHER THAN JUST READING ABOUT IT IN A BOOK.
I LIKE TO TINKER WITH DIFFERENT FEED RATIOS AND CROSS BREEDING TO SEE WHAT COMES OUT AND HOW IT GROWS.
WEVE HAD ANGUS, WHO TORE THE FENCE DOWN AND RUN OFF AND THEN OTHERS WHO WERE MEEK AS A LAMB.
I HAD A REG. SANTA GERTRUDAS BULL. WHO THOUGHT HE WAS A DOG. MILK COWS THAT WERE ALWAYS GETTING HUNG UP IN SOMETHING, ETC.... IT JUST MADE LIFE MORE INTERESTING, YES THERE WERE TIMES WHEN I THREW MY HANDS UP AND SAID, I'M GONNA SELL THE WHOLE DERN OUTFIT. BUT DIDNT.
THEN A TIME CAME THAT I HAD TO GET RID OF NEARLY EVERYTHING, AND I CRIED LIKE A BABY.
THERE IS NO BREED ANY BETTER THAN ANOTHER IN MY OPINION, IT'S JUST WHAT YOU WANT TO HAVE AND HOW YOU WANT TO MARKET IT TO OTHERS... I LIKE THEM ALL, JUST SOME I DONT WANT FOR MY FARM.

poorfarm":dhn86pxq said:
I'M LIKE MY USER NAME SUGGESTS, POORFARMER, HAVE BEEN FOR MANY YEARS.
WE HAVE ALWAYS HAD DIFFRENT KINDS OF CATTLE. AND HAVE HAD PURE BRED STUFF TO.
TO ME RAISING CATTLE IS JUST A THING I WAS BROUGHT UP TO DO AND HAVE. I DONT TRY AND MAKE A LIVING ON THEM, SOMETIMES I MAKE MONEY AND SOMETIMES I DONT. MY FAMILY JUST LIKES THE LIFE STYLE AND GET PLEASURE FROM WORKING CATTLE AND SEEING WHAT EACH DAY BRINGS FROM THEM.
THE GRANDKIDS COME AND HAVE A BALL BEING AROUND VARIOUS ANIMALS AND LEARNING THINGS ABOUT THEM OTHER THAN JUST READING ABOUT IT IN A BOOK.
I LIKE TO TINKER WITH DIFFERENT FEED RATIOS AND CROSS BREEDING TO SEE WHAT COMES OUT AND HOW IT GROWS.
WEVE HAD ANGUS, WHO TORE THE FENCE DOWN AND RUN OFF AND THEN OTHERS WHO WERE MEEK AS A LAMB.
I HAD A REG. SANTA GERTRUDAS BULL. WHO THOUGHT HE WAS A DOG. MILK COWS THAT WERE ALWAYS GETTING HUNG UP IN SOMETHING, ETC.... IT JUST MADE LIFE MORE INTERESTING, YES THERE WERE TIMES WHEN I THREW MY HANDS UP AND SAID, I'M GONNA SELL THE WHOLE DERN OUTFIT. BUT DIDNT.
THEN A TIME CAME THAT I HAD TO GET RID OF NEARLY EVERYTHING, AND I CRIED LIKE A BABY.
THERE IS NO BREED ANY BETTER THAN ANOTHER IN MY OPINION, IT'S JUST WHAT YOU WANT TO HAVE AND HOW YOU WANT TO MARKET IT TO OTHERS... I LIKE THEM ALL, JUST SOME I DONT WANT FOR MY FARM.
wish that were true...

LimousinGirl":39quclv0 said:
CattleHand":39quclv0 said:
"...I was just curious and wanted to here some comments about why many of you are concerend about what breeds you have on your farm..."

For me, maybe it's just 'cause there isn't nothin' prettier then black cattle on green pasture with blue sky behind em' ! :D

Really, I wouldn't mind a bit of red........ :)

Pardon me for hijacking this thread, but LimousinGirl, I REALLY like your signature. :)
Yes, I agree with Backhoe. Brangus are awesome. ;-) But, lets not start that all over again. If it helps any, I've got black, blue, dark roanish, and Magpie colors in my herd. Don't ask me how a dairy calf got in there. :secret:

We had Maines, Shorthorns, and Angus cattle on our place. Maines because that is what my wife's family showed in 4-H and FFA, Shorties because we got into them together, and we happened upon a good Angus cross because when we were in college and our cows were at my in-laws place they had an Angus bull. Angus x Maines were always great calves for us and Shorties x Maines were great also. We would AI our show cattle with purchased semen, but had an Angus bull to cover all other cows and clean up the show cattle.
I know a guy that has Angus cattle and covers them with a Charolais bull and the calves perform amazing in his feedlot. For us it was about matching genetics, bull and cow. Purchased semen helped us do that very effectively. We wouldn't purchase a lot of semen, maybe $200 worth a year, but I feel AI-ing is a great way to introduce new genetics, relatively easily, into a cow herd.

LimousinGirl wrote:
Why thanks, blackcowz! :D

Well, I just thought that it was a good reminder of what is really important in this life. Glad you have it on your signature! :D :D

P.S., I'm the same as mytfarms on Ranchers.net. I've got the Black Angus pics.

Alright thanks guys I apprecaite your opinions to answering my question.

When alot of you guys say angus, charlais (sp) and hereford are you refering to pure breeds or do you mean cattle that resemble them physically.

CattleHand":k3i4mcjv said:
Alright thanks guys I apprecaite your opinions to answering my question.

When alot of you guys say angus, charlais (sp) and hereford are you refering to pure breeds or do you mean cattle that resemble them physically.
CattleHand - and Others--

I can't speak for other members of the Forum, or, for that matter, other breeder's as well, but in my particular component, factor or element of discussion, it depends on, or is contingent upon the particular talking points of the moment. If we are in a discussion regarding breeding protocols involving traits, characteristics, EPD's, functional structure results from matings and progeny results both Genetic and Phenotypical - then very probably the references would be to purebred ("Registered" or not) seedstock and their progeny.

On the other hand, if the discussion is between a group of Cattlemen leaning over a fence or standing around observing a penfull of Feeder calves, and the talking points revolve around their particular color, or their physical attributes (or lack thereof), or the possibility of their profit potentialities, then the importance of whether they are purebred is merely conjecture. If the discussion involves the desirability or possibility of mating selections through breeding protocols - either straight purebred or crossbreeding selections - then -Yes- the status of their genetic make-up is of vital importance, and the percentage of "purebred" genetics, or not, or the 'mated' individuals is certainly critical and cogent to the topic being discussed.

Your question is a good one, and points out the absolute importance upon which the topic of "Beef Cattle Breeding" is established, and solidifies the need to understand everything surrounding the business of making the raising of beef cattle JOB ONE!

I hope this helps in answering your question, because it is a subject which should be uppermost in the minds' and converstations of EVERY Beef Cattle Breeder who is interested in PROFIT from their BU$INE$$ endeavors. Otherwise, they are just playing games and indulging in their hobby.

DOC HARRIS

Latest posts