A question for Texans

Help Support CattleToday:

millstreaminn

Reaction score
I'm planning a short vacation where I'll fly into Houston to see the Johnsons Space Center. While I'm there I also wanted to go to Corpus Christi to tour the USS Lexington. Question is, is being a county boy, (with not a lot of city driving skills) if I rent a car in Houston, what's it like to drive around Houston and from Houston to Corpus Christi? If Houston area driving is a nightmare, I'll just get a taxi and skip the rental car, then fly to Corpus Christi and get a taxi there too. Opinions? Thanks!

Well i may not be a texan but i spent enough time there to know a little about it. I stayed in houston for four months one time and hated every bit of it. If your trying to go somewhere in rush hour its going to take time like any other big city. But i didnt think it was terrible like dallas/ft worth is. The drive to corpus is not bad either. I think it was about 3-4 hours trip

Traffic anywhere is all about timing.

Houston polution is enough to drive anyone nuts. I don't suffer from allergies. But my head immediately stuffs up when I get near Houston.

Not bad I drive it two three times a month timing is everything in Houston.
Which airport Hobby or Intercontinental ? Makes a big difference IMO on getting to JSC.
Houston to Corpus is not bad about 3 1/2 hours.

Caustic Burno":14lll9ul said:
Which airport Hobby or Intercontinental ? Makes a big difference IMO on getting to JSC.

Either one. I haven't bought the tickets yet and they are the same price to either airport. Which one do you think is easier to get to JSC from?

millstreaminn":1wtufkk1 said:
Caustic Burno":1wtufkk1 said:

Either one. I haven't bought the tickets yet and they are the same price to either airport. Which one do you think is easier to get to JSC from?

Much easier to get to JSC from Hobby.
Here you go.
Take Airport Blvd to I 45 South to Nasa Road 1 Exit about 17 miles from the airport.
Mapguest is not working for me for some reason.

Are you leaving JSC straight for Corpus?

Caustic Burno":370jxey2 said:
millstreaminn":370jxey2 said:
Caustic Burno":370jxey2 said:

Much easier to get to JSC from Hobby.
Here you go.
Take Airport Blvd to I 45 South to Nasa Road 1 Exit about 17 miles from the airport.
Mapguest is not working for me for some reason.

Are you leaving JSC straight for Corpus?

Depends on what time my flight gets into Hobby. I can be in Houston as early as 11 am or as late as 11 pm. Any flight I take is between 6-7 hours, so I kinda think I'm gonna get into Houston, grab a hotel near JSC, and visit the space center early on the following morning. Planned to leave JSC around noon to head south. What's rush hours around Houston? Guess 6am to 9am and 4pm to 7pm? IDK, we don't have any "rush hour" in my town...

I 45 south from hobby is a parking lot from 4 to 6 pm
North bound 5 to 9 am.
Leaving the JSC take I-45 north to Beltway 8 Sam Houston tollway west.
This will be about 10 miles north of NASA rd 1.
Take the tollway west you will go through two tolls might be three take US 59 South to Victoria
you are off to the races all the way to Corpus.

PS have about 5 dollars worth of quarter when you hit the tollway.
I can't remember if the toll is a 1.50 or 1.75 I have an EZ tag and just drive through.
This is the shortest route to 59 with the least traffic.

Go on Map quest put William P. Hobby Airport (HOU), to 2101 Nasa Pkwy, Houston, Texas (That is JSC)

Mill, I grew up in Corpus and now live near Houston so I can give you some insight on both.

As a few others have mentioned timing is important. ALL of the freeways (in Houston) are jammed inbound from around 6:30 to 9:00 am and outbound from around 4:30 to 6:30 pm. If you fly into Intercontinental you can exit the airport to Sam Houston tollway (beltway 8) and take it South to I 45. Take I 45 South to JSC (Clearlake). When you leave JSC take I 45 North to Sam Houston tollway and head West on it to US 59 (I 69) toward Victoria, Texas. At Victoria you will intersect with US 77. Take 77 South to Corpus Christi.

If you fly into Hobby you are only about 10 minutes from the beltway so take US 35 (Telephone road) to Beltway 8.

Don't forget to visit Padre Island while in Corpus. Padre Island is a barrier island the can be driven on for 50 miles or so on the beach. Beyond that limit there are at least three passes (Yarborough, big shell and little shell) that may get you in trouble. Also, the island is going to be very deserted after about 5 miles down the beach so if you get into trouble you may be there for a while.

Lavaca rancher has the right info for you, especially the 77 route versus 59. Our daughter lives in Corpus. When we visit her we go to Victoria and pick up 77 into Corpus, by far the best route.
The Lexington is a good visit and the state aquarium is close by also. :welcome:

If you fly into Intercontinental you are 45 to 50 miles from JSC.
Secondly the tollway is EZ pass only for about 20 miles so you will be running the service road, in Texas
called a feeder road. You will hit a several red lights before you can enter the toll road that has maned booths.
I travel that route at least twice a month. Ran it yesterday.
You come into Hobby you are 18 miles from JSC.
I won't argue 59 to Victoria to 77 to Corpus I have driven both.
Just trying to keep it simple for a foreigner.
If you stay near JSC if you travel East on Nasa Rd 1 you will go to Tx 146 if you turn right and go about 5 miles
there is some fine seafood on the Kemah Boardwalk.
As you cross Clear Creek on Nasa RD 1 you will see a Old Mansion Home this was one of the homes of James West that operated a large
ranch conglomerate. I worked part of the old Ranch in HS now it is urban sprawl.

Thanks for the good local information, CB, lavacarancher. I can look at maps and plan a route for weeks and still not get the better information locals can provide off the top of their head. Shooting to fly out March 6th and be back on March 11th.

starbaby":38r3njui said:
bird dog":38r3njui said:
The Lexington is well worth the trouble. A neat experience for someone that has not been around big boats.
if you have the time it would really be worth your time to go see this
http://www.galveston.com/seawolfpark/

That's right up my alley, too... 8)

Looks like there will be plenty to occupy myself for a few days. Thanks!

My 2 cents worth would be to fly into Hobby as it is much closer to JSC than Bush International, hit JSC (tell our son hi for us while you're there) then go to the Battle Ship Texas. Some other history close to the Battle Ship Texas is the San Jacinto monument. Who knows, it may save you a trip all the way down to Corpus. Is the Lexington a must visit for some special reason or are you just looking for a ship to take a tour on?

Kemah is interesting then go on down to Galveston and while there check out the (free) ferry to cross the bay, don't trust the seagulls while on the ferry! If you don't have a gps, get one as life will be much more enjoyable. I hope you have a good trip!

millstreaminn":1t1ganqo said:
Thanks for the good local information, CB, lavacarancher. I can look at maps and plan a route for weeks and still not get the better information locals can provide off the top of their head. Shooting to fly out March 6th and be back on March 11th.
Congrats!!
You picked a special and hallowed day to arrive in Texas.

Dawn, March 6, 1836

greybeard":2izjpbv4 said:
millstreaminn":2izjpbv4 said:
Congrats!!
You picked a special and hallowed day to arrive in Texas.

Dawn, March 6, 1836

Yep the day that will live in glory.
If you go see the Texas you will see where the battle that changed the course of our nation.

Measured by its results, San Jacinto was one of the decisive battles of the world. The freedom of Texas from Mexico won here led to annexation and to the Mexican-American War, resulting in the acquisition by the United States of the states of Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, California, Utah and parts of Colorado, Wyoming, Kansas and Oklahoma. Almost one-third of the present area of the American Nation, nearly a million square miles of territory, changed sovereignty

Latest posts