A question about fuel

Help Support CattleToday:

houstoncutter

Reaction score
I have used stay-bil in fuel for quite some time. Seems like the gas will go bad after about 3 months here, of course the high humidity here might be part of the product. What has been your experience with these products. Also when I go to Canada fishing the outpost cabins are using gas that's a year old at times. Is this because its avgas and doesn't have all the additives in regular gas?

It's no different here. Lots of water in the fuel if it sits around too long. Sounds like you been at some outposts run by real morons. You either run it dry before the winter here, or dump the fuel in the spring.

While I have used both at times, personally I tend to favor Sea Foam over Sta-Bil.

Seems all gas is crap nowdays. If you have access to AV gas, I've heard that is your best bet. :2cents:

I use the amount of stabil for long term storage whenever I get gas in cans. The only time I've had problems was when I got some condensation in a can. When I get down to the dregs I dump the last pint or so into another open container and check for water balls. If there aren;t any I just dump it straight into the tank. The longest I've stored a piece of equipment and started after using stabilwas 4 years. That was in a trash pump. I used to only start using stabil about october and I would run the equipment dry then run it for about 10 minutes with the gas with stabil. Now I just use it all the time.

Unless your using the ethanol treatment, it is the ethanol that is absorbing moisture out of the air. If the gas is for small engines, try buying ethanol free gas. You can check puregas.com for ethanol free gas in your area.

Next best option is avgas, but avgas is upwards of $6 a gallon. In my area, $6.28 to be exact at the airport 2 miles down from me.