A question about adj ww?

Help Support CattleToday:

Keren

Reaction score
My little patch of earth, Perth, WA, Australia
In the simmental bull prospect thread, one of the bulls had "350kg adj ww"

Bear with me, because here we have different figures, and plus personally I dont use EBVs/EPDs anyway.

But, showing my ignorance here, what does "adj ww" mean?

I figure ww is weaning weight. Is adj adjusted? If so, what/how/why is it adjusted?

Keren":390hk4hg said:
In the simmental bull prospect thread, one of the bulls had "350kg adj ww"

Bear with me, because here we have different figures, and plus personally I dont use EBVs/EPDs anyway.

But, showing my ignorance here, what does "adj ww" mean?

I figure ww is weaning weight. Is adj adjusted? If so, what/how/why is it adjusted?

If they do it like they do in the states, it's adjusted by age of dam and adjusted to a specific number of days. Here the age is adjusted to 205 days for weaning.

aussie_cowgirl":3rpyydm2 said:
Ooooh so if say he was 210 days they would adjust the weight to what it would be at 205 days? How does the dam come into it?

Correct. Age of dam has to do with a younger cow won;t be producing as much milk as a mature cow.

dun":gma2f7vr said:
aussie_cowgirl":gma2f7vr said:
Ooooh so if say he was 210 days they would adjust the weight to what it would be at 205 days? How does the dam come into it?

Correct. Age of dam has to do with a younger cow won;t be producing as much milk as a mature cow.

Oh I see. Thanks dun. :D

Keren-

Dun is absolutely right!

This entire post is a perfect "Object Lesson" as the the efficacy of knowing, studying, and USING EPD's/EBV's! Check my post on the thread "Simmental Bull Prospects".

A little knowledge is a great thing!

DOC HARRIS

Then the computed 205 day weight is adjusted for the age of the Dam by the following table.

Age of Dam (years) lbs adjusted for male calf lbs adjusted for female calf
2 +60 +54
3 +40 +36
4 +20 +18
5 -10 0 0
11+ +20 +18

The info I posted came out of the Cattleworks program, don't know if it is all the same otherwise or not.

Some of the breed registries have tweaked the adjustment tables specifically for their breed. If your breed has a performance committee, they should know whether this is done or not.

tom4018":ysp83oze said:
Then the computed 205 day weight is adjusted for the age of the Dam by the following table.

Age of Dam (years) lbs adjusted for male calf lbs adjusted for female calf
2 +60 +54
3 +40 +36
4 +20 +18
5 -10 0 0
11+ +20 +18
These are the adjustment figures recognized by the Beef Improvement Federation.