A quality bull

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I need to know what aspects of a bull to look at when considering weather or not he is a good bull to breed to my cows. I have tried to get mixed breed heifers that have good size, straight legs, good hooves and, good over all condition. I am hoping that they are a good fondation for good calves. I have raised them by hand from a week old. I want to produce commercial type calves of very high quality that will bring a good price.

[email protected]

If you have thorty-five or less, look in to AI. You will get far better bulls then you can afford to buy. If a bull is in an major stud and has relatively high EPD Accuracy you can pretty well judge what that bull will do. If you decide to go AI look at calving ease bulls for the first calf. There are calving ease bulls of several breeds that still have the growth and carcass characteristics that are desireable.

dunmovin farms

> I need to know what aspects of a
> bull to look at when considering
> weather or not he is a good bull
> to breed to my cows. I have tried
> to get mixed breed heifers that
> have good size, straight legs,
> good hooves and, good over all
> condition. I am hoping that they
> are a good fondation for good
> calves. I have raised them by hand
> from a week old. I want to produce
> commercial type calves of very
> high quality that will bring a
> good price.

I sure wouldn't look into a crosbred bull..crossbred cows are fine and osmetimes better than purebred for a commercial operation..but the bull is at least 50% of your calf crop..you n eed to look at what sort of cows you have & pick a good breed bull who has excellent EPD numbers..the beed will depend on your cows and your area
> If you have thorty-five or less,
> look in to AI. You will get far
> better bulls then you can afford
> to buy. If a bull is in an major
> stud and has relatively high EPD
> Accuracy you can pretty well judge
> what that bull will do. If you
> decide to go AI look at calving
> ease bulls for the first calf.
> There are calving ease bulls of
> several breeds that still have the
> growth and carcass characteristics