A pair I held back at the last minute.

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
I posted this earlier but somehow the photos were removed from my PB account so here they are again.

A bred 2 yr old, this is what you get when you cross a diluter with a diluter and a diluter again, her dam is black.
IMG_1930.jpg

Her 7 month old heifer calf.
IMG_1936.jpg

IMG_1935.jpg

I am going to AI the dam next year to a homo blk GV bull and the heifer to a red GV bull.

This was a last second gut decision to pull these off the sale list as well as another pair. I just felt they was to much prospect in them after the drought season and no feed , the way they both have grown and held condition to let them go. I hope I am not wrong.

What breed is the 2 year old? I'm assuming Gelbvieh but its strange how white she is. Looks alot like some of my Char cows.

novaman":37v8vpmd said:
What breed is the 2 year old? I'm assuming Gelbvieh but its strange how white she is. Looks alot like some of my Char cows.

Nova she is 94% GV but her dam was percentage so who knows what was in the background there maybe char.

The way I am thinking and after reading Randiliana's genetic blogs and lessons to me, I might have it right. Probably not though. :lol:

Grand dam must have had the diluter or bred to a diluter than the dam has the diluter and was bred to a diluter again thus a really light grey 2yr old. The calf is out of out herd bull that also has the diluter but the calf came out red. :? :lol2:

I have a headache now. She was rebred to the same bull as last year so I think she will have a grey calf next time. I will post pics when she comes. Next year after she calves I am AI'ing her to Ozz Ideal he is homo blk and the daughter will be ai'd to fully exposed homo red. I hope that will take care of the diluter.

Grey calves sell well here, the buyers look at the cattle not the hide thankfully so that is not really an issue I just want a uniform herd in color.

I am glad I kept them ,the 2 yr olds dam was sold this year and she was only 6 yrs old but in the 6 yrs I had her she gave me 3 sets of healthy twins that she raised herself. She also was at the top with ween weights every year even twins. This was the only grey calf she has given me. She had twins this year a red bull and heifer calf.

hillsdown":2sse4o92 said:
.....after the drought season and no feed , the way they both have grown and held condition to let them go. I hope I am not wrong.

With what you have stated, drought and no feed and they look this good, I don't think you were worng to hang on to them. They are what I call good solid, good doing animals that require little input.

Katherine

your gut was right in pulling that pair off the trailer.she is the kind that makes money.

Latest posts