A nice day for a few pictures

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep

Reaction score
Well, I had a nice day yesterday, the sunshine provided nice saturated colors, so I took a couple pics of the cattle :)

Kama

Lada, the late born heifer.. 6 weeks old now, she actually looks pretty nice..

Lazyboy, he did NOT get stressed out about weaning, he ate his sorrows away

Timo the bull

Gruber the long yearling steer.. We dont' need the meat yet, so he'll probably go next spring... I think he looks decent

Gruber's mother

And her two full sisters, Kama and Roma

A close relative, Sofa

And I find Tifa a very pretty looking heifer, she's about a 7/8th sister to Sofa.. Only different blood between them is a great grandpa... Also 100% related to the sleeping calf

Wonder how different the sounds and smells are over there in comparison to here, the scenery is certainly way different. Cow dung is cow dung though...perhaps one of the few things we have in common :p .

With the steers, I'm always aware that they are there to become steaks... Eating cow is harder (literally too), because you expect them to be around for the long haul.

We are currently eating a 30 month old bull (Minos), I sold Lazyboy's 'uncle' to a friend, and he turned out delicious, I'm going to see if I have a market for a half of Gruber, because we'll need more freezer space for Lazyboy... He will be hard to send off, he's quite a character, but I am very curious as to what his REA is. Looks like he'll have lots of meat throughout the hind quarters.. he certainly isn't an animal that would make a herdsire, but he's hard to beat as a steer

wbvs58":2cbgrdl6 said:
Nesi, do you use a lot of fertiliser? Your paddocks seem so much greener than the surrounding country.

I noticed that too but I thought it may have been from irrigation. Nesi is there much water in those mountains? Looking at th pictures I can't make out any green stream drainages. Beautiful place though and your cattle look good. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

We're on the west side, which is just a little less hot, There is nearly enough water for everyone here, we're fortunate to be the only ones on our creek. I do a lot of walking changing pipes to irrigate, which is why it's green... if I didn't, it would dry up in a month. If you look at the picture of the bull, just above his back, if you look really closely, you can see there's a ditch running along the mountain, that is the ditch for the ranch across the river. The only fertilizer we use is the one the cows put back down.
Jo, it sure helps waking up.. Winters can be a bit gray though

Not unlike the Rocky Mtns near Helena, MT. I noticed what might be an old minewaste pile in the first picture. I am guessing you get 8 to 10 inches of precipitation. The western part of North America is a land of austere beauty but it is not easy to embrace. It is dry, rugged and harsh. You must face a lot of challenges that I take for granted.

Wonderful pictures and good color.

That's our gravel pit in the first picture... LOTS of that around here!, it's the good dirt that is at a premium. I think you're about right on the money with the precipitation, I think a record low was about 7", and a fairly wet year is 12".. it also depends a lot on when if falls... Cutting hay is a good way to make it spit for an hour.. not enough to do anything to the ground but enough to bleach the top layer of the hay

Thank you for sharing those beautiful pictures of your cattle and homeland. I enjoyed them. You live in a beautiful place.

Yep, Lazyboy has lots of meat, especially in the gaskin, and he's VERY wide. He doesn't have the structure I'd look for as a bull (swayback, etc), but makes a dandy steer. I kept him to compare how he will be in a year with the long yearling steer pictured.. He is about a 7/8th brother, the older was from a first timer that did respectably at a 205 day WW of about 625, Lazyboy is about 650 at 170 days, so MUCH growthier, and I want to see how that advantage carries over the next year.
I didn't post a pic of the bull calf did I?