A newby with a bull

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Ok all I have a question and thank you in advance for your much appreciated help.

Situation: We bought a hereford bull calve, made him a steer, and two weeks ago started feeding him fed for lean and alfalfa hay so we can have some steaks in 4 to 5 weeks. About 4 months back we also went an got his brother, left him a bull and were wondering if we went and found ourselves a brangus cow would we be able to breed some good beef for home.

[email protected]

Why bother. For the cost of feeding a bull you could have a good cow bred AI to one of the top bulls in the world. Bulls are a much more serious proposition to keep then most people seem to think. Your idea is about like saying "well we've got an extra bedroom, we might as well have another kid"

dun

> Ok all I have a question and thank
> you in advance for your much
> appreciated help.

> Situation: We bought a hereford
> bull calve, made him a steer, and
> two weeks ago started feeding him
> fed for lean and alfalfa hay so we
> can have some steaks in 4 to 5
> weeks. About 4 months back we also
> went an got his brother, left him
> a bull and were wondering if we
> went and found ourselves a brangus
> cow would we be able to breed some
> good beef for home.

It wouldn't be economical or advised to keep a bull around for one cow. If you dont want to AI I'm sure yo can find a farmer around who would let you run a cow with his bull for a very small fee.

Don't keep him a bull. Even the most gentle bull is unpredictable and could turn on you at a moments notice. Plus, as the others have pointed out, it is hard economically to justify keeping a bull to only breed a cow or two.

If you really want to have a cow/calf around, there are lots of tools available these days to bring the cow into heat on your schedule and then have someone out to breed her artificially. I'm guessing that you can get a cow bred for between $25 and $50 (that includes semen and labor). It will costs more than that to feed a bull for a couple months.

Good luck!

Latest posts