A new way to vaccinate cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

NiceFarmer31

Reaction score
Parasite+not+Injections+Vaccination+Cattle.jpg

Scientists have developed a technique using a harmless parasite, which lives in cows but has no effect on their health, to carry medicines into the animals' bloodstream.

Researchers created the vaccine by inserting key genetic material from a vaccine into the parasite's DNA.

The manipulated parasite is intended to be injected into cattle, where it would continue to thrive in their bloodstreams, releasing small amounts of vaccine slowly over time.

http://pakagri.blogspot.com/2012/11/a-new-way-to-vaccinate-cattle.html

just what we need..more engineered meds for cattle...cause we all know there isnt enough in the food chain already

Whether or not it will ever be accepted, it is still a pretty cool idea. I wonder how long the parasite would live? It would be pretty slick to only have to vaccinate cattle one time and they would be protected for the rest of their life. What about using Ivomec or something like that? The new parasite would have to be tolerant of wormers or it would defeat the purpose.

Hi that picture is made by me , so i watermarked it , the research wasnt conducted by Pakistan , if i get u right
Limomike":3pi5b8i3 said:
yeah, and note the Agriculture insignia in the upper left hand corner...

What parasite are they using and for what disease?

After a dozen searches, I'm still coming up empty on research and/or published papers.

Interesting article. I asked one of my professors here about it, might have some thoughts on the matter next week.

We've been using modified viruses to transmit DNA from other viruses for quite some time in order to elicit a protective immune response. (Not the same as modified-live vaccines.) I'm not sure if parasites would work as well.

Latest posts