A long way to go...

Help Support CattleToday:

farmwriter

Reaction score
but we're reclaiming for pasture some property that's been largely untouched for years. Slow process, but it feels good to see the difference clearing some trees and bull dozing the trash has made.
IMG_1740.JPG

IMG_1739.JPG

IMG_1738.JPG

Planning some big fires this fall!

I'd say you are almost there. Personally, with no more trash than you had, I would have created piles rather than windrows but that's just me. Are you gonna plant a winter annual this fall?

probably rye grass. We got some equip $$$ from NRCS for planting permanent pasture and I don't remember if this property is covered by those funds or not. But yeah, as soon as we can burn, baby, burn there will be something planted for sure.
There's actually more land and trash over the hill in first pic, but friend is doing the dozer work between his real jobs, so it's slow go. Very exciting to see the changes already.

Leave a couple of the dozer piles to grow up into jungle. It's a riot watching the calves drive their momma nuts playing on them.

kenny thomas":2q9x1a38 said:
Burn the piles between 7 and 11 days after piling. Don't know why but it really works.
When they are piled right (good and tight) the gasses given off will really get them going. Years ago when so much land clearing was going on here they would light them at 14 days. They would put a D8 with a Stinger blade to cutting, then a D7 with a rake blade to wind rowing and a 6 or a 7 would keep the piles punched up and burning.

jedstivers":2pcbq1wo said:
kenny thomas":2pcbq1wo said:
Burn the piles between 7 and 11 days after piling. Don't know why but it really works.
When they are piled right (good and tight) the gasses given off will really get them going. Years ago when so much land clearing was going on here they would light them at 14 days. They would put a D8 with a Stinger blade to cutting, then a D7 with a rake blade to wind rowing and a 6 or a 7 would keep the piles punched up and burning.
that was the reason for asking why wait tilll fall they will burn better if they burn them sooner I try to wait at least 5 days sometimes that isn'tpossible but it seems anytime after 5 days works well

I hate to rub it in for people who are dry, but we have been soaked until this week. Don't know that it will technically be 'fall' but I also don't want to be near all that fire when it SO HOT already. Mostly it will have to wait until other family can be around to help keep the fire under control- which has been known to be an issue on our place. :oops: I sure don't want to burn up those trees we saved for shade!
Thanks for the tips, ya'll. I'll try to remember to take pics of the fire and again when it starts to green up after planting.

Please do take pictures. I love to see the transformation of a jewell from the rough. Complete gratification in my opinion.

That is quite the fire, how long did it take to burn out ?

You couldn't light a match around here without the whole area going poof..

Can't wait to see what it looks like next year all your hard work will definitely be worth it. :)

Most of the blaze was gone in a couple of days. We were still getting a little smoke one day last week, though 4" of rain from Ida pretty well wound that up. Hope it dries enough to burn some more this weekend.

Latest posts