A long and damning article from an august periodical of a major political party

Help Support CattleToday:

HDRider

Reaction score
You don't really know your fellow man until you've pondered the fact that most people say they love animals, professing admiration and sympathy, and most people eat them. The great masses of creatures in our industrial farms today would be entitled to conclude, if they could do any pondering themselves, that our love is not worth much. Judging by the fruits, it more resembles hatred. They come and go knowing nothing of existence but misery. No season of gentleness anymore before the blade. No glimpse of earth's comforts or of life's goodness. It's all just pain, courtesy of a world filled with self-described animal lovers. Cruelty to animals, and to farm animals in particular, may not be humanity's worst offense. It has no rival, however, for the title of humanity's worst hypocrisy.

We should hope that our great-grandchildren, in passing judgment on the industrial farms of today, are more lenient than we are and don't get too much into the details. Unkind and unwarranted as they are, the other forms of exploitation that Krauthammer mentions are the least of it. And wondering where we strayed, posterity will note that in America, farm animals were excluded from the very definition of "animal" in the protections provided in our federal Animal Welfare Act. A few minimal regulations apply, such as a new one — a glimpse of the whole ethical setting — saying that you can't use bulldozers to drag to slaughter a dairy cow too sick or lame to walk to her own death. Even this was resisted by the cattle and dairy lobby as a meddling in their private affairs. What should we expect of an industry that may be described, almost literally, as lawless?

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/4 ... industries

You could call factory-farm animals evolution's greatest success story, if all that mattered were reproduction and population, but what is that worth when individually it means a life subjected to extreme cruelty? "The animal kingdom has known many types of pain and misery for millions of years," Harari writes in a Guardian essay. "Yet the agricultural revolution created completely new kinds of suffering, ones that only worsened with the passing of the generations."

The author - — Matthew Scully, a former literary editor of National Review and senior speechwriter to President George W. Bush, is the author of Dominion: The Power of Man, the Suffering of Animals, and the Call to Mercy.

There was a guy I can't recall that was an avid outdoorsman, fisherman, hunter, etc.
Lived off grid for awhile, grew his own food, ran the Iditarod, a true free spirit.
He became a vegetarian
He said one thing he learned was the one thing animals want same as man is to live

Cross-7":2peeehwi said:
There was a guy I can't recall that was an avid outdoorsman, fisherman, hunter, etc.
Lived off grid for awhile, grew his own food, ran the Iditarod, a true free spirit.
He became a vegetarian
He said one thing he learned was the one thing animals want same as man is to live

Plants don't want to die either.

HDRider":30vty7kj said:
Then we have the 5 or 6 percent of our population who still think it is normal, and indeed praiseworthy, to stalk, sneak up on, and dispatch animals for no better reason than the malicious thrill of it.

There are animals who do this very same thing to other animals and humans. Not to eat...just a simple kill. Wonder what they're thinking?? Is it a bad habit they develop, do they just love the taste and smell of blood or the power trip that comes with killing a human or defenseless herbivore?? Most domesticated animals live a fairly simple life with little demands made of them. And just like man the end is always death. Very few of us or them get to chose how or when we die.

TennesseeTuxedo":wq09vxw0 said:
Cross-7":wq09vxw0 said:
He became a vegetarian

Are you sure ?
Have you ever listened to a tomato ?
Most are bunch of suicidal maniacs !!!

Cross-7":3sqkcygi said:
TennesseeTuxedo":3sqkcygi said:
Cross-7":3sqkcygi said:
He became a vegetarian

Are you sure ?
Have you ever listened to a tomato ?
Most are bunch of suicidal maniacs !!!

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Some "sort of" valid points but tars with too wide a brush. The hosing down because of the body waste shows that he has no grasp of animals behavior. From some that I've read, releasing body waste at death is an automatic thing. Sort of makes me wonder how much of the rest that can be accepted as truth/fact/accurate

HDRider":1macoom8 said:
You don't really know your fellow man until you've pondered the fact that most people say they love animals, professing admiration and sympathy, and most people eat them. The great masses of creatures in our industrial farms today would be entitled to conclude, if they could do any pondering themselves, that our love is not worth much. Judging by the fruits, it more resembles hatred. They come and go knowing nothing of existence but misery. No season of gentleness anymore before the blade. No glimpse of earth's comforts or of life's goodness. It's all just pain, courtesy of a world filled with self-described animal lovers. Cruelty to animals, and to farm animals in particular, may not be humanity's worst offense. It has no rival, however, for the title of humanity's worst hypocrisy.

We should hope that our great-grandchildren, in passing judgment on the industrial farms of today, are more lenient than we are and don't get too much into the details. Unkind and unwarranted as they are, the other forms of exploitation that Krauthammer mentions are the least of it. And wondering where we strayed, posterity will note that in America, farm animals were excluded from the very definition of "animal" in the protections provided in our federal Animal Welfare Act. A few minimal regulations apply, such as a new one — a glimpse of the whole ethical setting — saying that you can't use bulldozers to drag to slaughter a dairy cow too sick or lame to walk to her own death. Even this was resisted by the cattle and dairy lobby as a meddling in their private affairs. What should we expect of an industry that may be described, almost literally, as lawless?

I went to the link and read the article for the life of me I could not figure which party.

Personally, I think animals (livestock) should be treated humanely and have a good quality of life. Before we put them on a burger and thank them for their sacrifice.

Latest posts