A lobbying success story of milk: Unnatural, unhealthy

Help Support CattleToday:

FarmGirl10

Reaction score
I still can't figure out what her problem is...
A lobbying success story of milk: Unnatural, unhealthy, unwise

Humans are the only animals on the planet that drink another animal's milk. Thus, by definition, drinking cows' milk is extremely unnatural.

Despite thousands of years of cattle domestication, the human digestive system hasn't even adapted to dairy consumption, which is why you probably can't do the "Gallon Challenge."

In fact, 60 percent of adults worldwide are unable to effectively digest lactose, the main sugar found in milk. So why do Americans insist on consuming massive amounts of dairy products? Dairy industry propaganda and decades of lobbying have made us believe that milk "does a body good," when in fact it only increases the risk of disease and unhappiness for millions of humans and cows alike.

Milk's inclusion in the U.S. Department of Agriculture food pyramid is a direct result of ties to the dairy industry. Most non-Caucasian ethnic groups are almost completely lactose intolerant, yet receive all their required nutrients.

While our favorite, mucus-like mammary secretion does contain large amounts of calcium, that calcium is unlikely to be fully absorbed. Enzymes such as phosphatase, critical to calcium absorption, are completely destroyed by pasteurization.

This means that the calcium content on the label isn't what your body can utilize. The best sources of calcium are actually leafy green vegetables, like broccoli, collard greens, kale and spinach, which also come without the high proportion of saturated fat that contributes to obesity and heart disease.

Harvard studies have actually shown an increase in osteoporosis and bone-breakage in people who drink milk. The former chairman of pediatrics at Johns Hopkins University, Dr. Frank Oski, has identified hormone-ridden commercial milk as the cause of 60 percent of ear infections in kids under the age of 6. Milk consumption is the biggest cause of iron-deficiency anemia in children, according to the American Association of Pediatrics.

According to Mercola.com, the journal Medicine lists more than 1,500 papers dealing with milk consumption, and not one of them expounds its health benefits – this is because milk is made to fatten baby cows, not to be a health drink.

The conditions on modern dairy farms contribute to the inclusion of pus, blood and antibiotics in every tall, white glass of milk. Bovine Growth Hormone is banned in the European Union, but in the U.S., it is pumped into dairy cows to increase yields. The hormone increases incidents of mastitis, an udder infection that leaks pus into the cow's milk.

This means farmers have to treat cows with subtherapeutic antibiotics — those same antibiotics have been found in 38 percent of milk samples tested by the Center for Science in the Public Interest. This overconsumption of antibiotics contributes to drug resistance in bacteria that commonly affects human health. Thus, milk increases our risk of some diseases and makes it harder to recover from others.

Small, traditional dairy farms have been almost completely pushed out of the market by large corporations. Of the roughly 70,000 U.S. dairies, 4 percent of the farms produce about half of our milk. The near constant impregnation required to keep milk flowing, combined with the stress of losing one's calf the day it is born and the discomfort of a constantly swollen udder has reduced life expectancy of the average corporate dairy cow from 20-25 years to just 3-4 years.

And what a life those three years is. Fresh air, range of movement and social activity don't promote milk production as much as hormones, artificial insemination and confined conditions do.

Drink your milk, eat your cheese and enjoy your ice cream as much as you like. But don't believe the lie that dairy is good for your health. The mucus, blood, pus and antibiotics found in your average glass of milk are symptoms of a larger problem — the power and influence of an American dairy industry that doesn't care about the cows or your health as much as the bottom line.

Be wary of any information presented by those with a financial incentive to support the unnatural, unhealthy consumption of milk — including the Department of Agriculture.

Beth Mendenhall is a senior in political science and philosophy. Please send comments to [email protected].
http://www.kstatecollegian.com/opin...-of-milk-unnatural-unhealthy-unwise-1.1909923

I think the answer may lie in another document authored by the same person. A little search should help you to locate the rest of the story, or at least her motive, so it makes more sense.

HerefordSire":1kaifie9 said:
I think the answer may lie in another document authored by the same person. A little search should help you to locate the rest of the story, or at least her motive, so it makes more sense.
I have read plenty of her other articles. This is the second one bashing animal agriculture, has a lot on other dumb subjects including gary marriage. The only things I've come up with is she is a well I shouldn't say what I think.

She's an animal rights person. They'll lie and twist the truth without batting an eye. I wish you wouldn't post that kind of ....stuff on these boards.

Many people (estimates of 1 in 300 in the US) have celiac disease and are allergic to grain products! Does that make it "unnatural" to eat bread? We're the only animals who are capable of drinking another animal's milk, but other animals, dogs and cats, love it when we offer it to them. Not to mention that there's a species of ant that "keeps" an aphid around to harvest their excess glucose!

http://indianapublicmedia.org/amomentof ... -ant-farm/

As sources she is using Mercola, the guy who thinks Roundup Ready corn produces Roundup. And anything from Johns Hopkins U. is going to be anti-ag. The Bloomberg School of Public Health at Johns Hopkins is a leading ag basher.

Frankie":83mscyhq said:
She's an animal rights person. They'll lie and twist the truth without batting an eye. I wish you wouldn't post that kind of ....stuff on these boards.

Many people (estimates of 1 in 300 in the US) have celiac disease and are allergic to grain products! Does that make it "unnatural" to eat bread? We're the only animals who are capable of drinking another animal's milk, but other animals, dogs and cats, love it when we offer it to them. Not to mention that there's a species of ant that "keeps" an aphid around to harvest their excess glucose!

I'm sorry I'm definately not suporting what she says, but I laughed through the whole article. The whole Ag department keeps fighting back, especially Collegiate Cattlewomen, we were pretty much in charge of combatting the vegan article that she posted.

FarmGirl10":3e88bx8h said:
Frankie":3e88bx8h said:

I'm sorry I'm definately not suporting what she says, but I laughed through the whole article. The whole Ag department keeps fighting back, especially Collegiate Cattlewomen, we were pretty much in charge of combatting the vegan article that she posted.

Good for you guys.

Suppose this person really believes that??? Or does she know it's hooey but is spreading it anyway because the means justifies the end???

I am sure you can find enough bona fide studies of the health benefits of drinking milk, especially for toddlers and children, to shoot great big holes in her so called facts.

I love milk and everything made from milk. The only milk I don't like is skim milk. Yaaayy for milk! What do the naysayers want to do- starve all the tens of millions of people getting free milk to feed their children with? What're they going to replace it with?

Suppose this person really believes that???

I've only skim-read the article because really, I don't want to :help: but I know these ideas are out among the public and given credence.
I see them on other forums where some of the members are vegetarians, and I've been challenged/questioned several times when telling people I'm a dairy farmer - one guy wanted to know if it was true we put milk into a centrifuge to spin all the blood out :roll: :roll:
Peta has a website(s) devoted to this sort of false propaganda - I've seen other AR groups sites as well. I know intelligent people who believe them.

My cousin married a Vietnamese guy, Lee. They met in the Peace Corps in Katmandu.
Anyway, he is a fine fellow (although a Redskins fan) and he tells me that 75% of Asians are lactose intolerant. I haven't bothered to google that fact for accuracy.
This same cousin went to summer "camp calcium" at Purdue when she was Jr High aged. Everything the girls ate and everything they passed was analyzed. The study, sponsored by the dairy interests, showed that girls from 8-15 have one chance to add bone density and prevent osteoporosis and that is when they are young. And milk is the most effective source of calcium.
Yeah, it was maybe biased research, but it was done to high standards, and I for one believe it

Second, our pediatricians are great doctors, but they insisted that our daughter should have soy instead of milk. I looked at the ex and said "I drank milk, what is wrong with that? I'm strong, healthy and somewhat sane. " Ex felt that whatever the pediatrician said should be the rule. Today, at 23, the girl loves milk for breakfast, is not obese or even close to obese, and will likely be strong well into her life.

I won't buy 2% milk. I want the full fat "vitamin D" labeled stuff. I drink 8 oz every morning. And I love Ice Cream. Take me out and shoot me. And don't get me started on butter vs oleo.

Dairy has taken a huge hit on health concerns and those in the business need to think about regaining the high ground.

Good luck

FarmGirl10":kt2fthja said:
HerefordSire":kt2fthja said:
I have read plenty of her other articles. This is the second one bashing animal agriculture, has a lot on other dumb subjects including gary marriage. The only things I've come up with is she is a well I shouldn't say what I think.

In my experience, there are six types of people split into two groups, left and right. Each side has three components, radical, moderate, and center. The two centrists on opposing sides are closer together than the two opposing radicals which are farthest. Since you mentioned gay marriage and the writing implies very health conscious text, I usually place this type of person on the radical group on the left side. If we are correct in our classification, we could estimate other beliefs and or behavior patterns with a high degree of accuracy.

HerefordSire":o1v46bhg said:
FarmGirl10":o1v46bhg said:
HerefordSire":o1v46bhg said:

In my experience, there are six types of people split into two groups, left and right. Each side has three components, radical, moderate, and center. The two centrists on opposing sides are closer together than the two opposing radicals which are farthest. Since you mentioned gay marriage and the writing implies very health conscious text, I usually place this type of person on the radical group on the left side. If we are correct in our classification, we could estimate other beliefs and or behavior patterns with a high degree of accuracy.

I lump this author into what I call the "starve in the dark" crowd.
She opposes modern food production and you can bet she opposes electric generation. Hence, we should all "starve in the dark".

Latest posts