A Little Worried

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
Was listening to the local news on the radio today. Not paying too much attention until they mentioned the county where we live. A grizzly bear was spotted last night north of town and pictures were taken by the ranch family that spotted it. The bear was 150 yards from their house.
We know the people and we are betting they were pretty nervous.

That bear was 20 miles from our place and they have no idea of where it is right now. It could go up several different areas and end up any where. One of the coulees leading off the river comes right up to us.
Just a little nervous.

I luv herfrds":9o2y1i7x said:
Was listening to the local news on the radio today. Not paying too much attention until they mentioned the county where we live. A grizzly bear was spotted last night north of town and pictures were taken by the ranch family that spotted it. The bear was 150 yards from their house.
We know the people and we are betting they were pretty nervous.

That bear was 20 miles from our place and they have no idea of where it is right now. It could go up several different areas and end up any where. One of the coulees leading off the river comes right up to us.
Just a little nervous.
I thought there were bears all over the place up there. That is why I have been too skeered to go to your state.

Looking for food I am sure, and you all are living in their territory, not he is living in yours.

GMN

sounds like you need tobe on the ready to go bear hunting if you need to.hope he doesnt come to your place.

That old bear is just passing through. Soon enough those transplanted Canadian Gray Wolves will have the game killed out West of you and will be getting real hungry, when they come they will come for beef.

Lived with them in the Peace River country - never had too many problems.

Black bear is far more trouble

I figure that it is highly unlikely you are going to have to be worried

Bez+

Ryder and GMN there has not been a grizzly in this county in over 60 years. We are over 100 miles away from the grizzly's home territory. They are not all over the state.

mnmt not too sure if he likes beef or not, but it does like mutton. Killed a sheep last night outside of Loma, MT. 16 miles from us.

Bez you ever hear about people spraying their camping gear with the bear repelant spray and coming back to find their camp tore apart? Turns out the bears just love it when it is not sprayed in their faces. :D
My hubby eats a lot of tabasco sauce.

By the way we don't have anything larger then a .243

I luv herfrds":157qdu7n said:
Ryder and GMN there has not been a grizzly in this county in over 60 years. We are over 100 miles away from the grizzly's home territory. They are not all over the state.

mnmt not too sure if he likes beef or not, but it does like mutton. Killed a sheep last night outside of Loma, MT. 16 miles from us.

Bez you ever hear about people spraying their camping gear with the bear repelant spray and coming back to find their camp tore apart? Turns out the bears just love it when it is not sprayed in their faces. :D
My hubby eats a lot of tabasco sauce.

By the way we don't have anything larger then a .243

Pepper spray is just a nice spice! :D

Like I said - we lived around them for most of my life - been within a hundred yards of them only a few times - admittedly they can be dangerous - but in truth any time they became aware of me they took off pretty fast - so I consider them a low risk critter.

That being said I would not be one to walk up and kick it either.

As to them eating an animal - well they are fast and eat big - but they like bugs as well. Man on a horse will not win the first 100 yards in a race so one might just be aware of this and keep the distance. Find a kill and hang around - they often come back - call it their own "bait program"

Black bears were always the animal that cost us money and trouble - killed more of them than I care to remember. Most of them went down a .25-.06 or a shotgun - easy to kill.

I figure you got a better chance of being hit by lightening than being hurt by a grizzly - oh, yes I have been hit by lightening! I think it was 1984 at 1000 feet above the ocean about 5 miles north and west of Port Hardy. I am still here.

As for travel distance - they can cover 50 to 100 miles a day if they are in travel mode. But they usually hang close to a food source if they do not have a particular destination in mind. So it would not surprize me if it came back for a "dessert sheep"

.243? Well, the largest bear in the world in your category - if memory serves was shot and killed by an indian woman with a .22 - hit them right they all go down.

I would not be worrying too much - I would be surprized if it showed up in your yard - but if it did I might help him to leave. :D

Now to make you feel real good - Fort Mac Alberta - go north about 150 miles - there is a small oil development - two grizzly bears moved in - drove the workers out. They ate in the kitchen and slept there all day. It was the last time the company sent folks in there without a rifle. Quite funny actually - I have the pics at home. The bears left when the boys played rap music at a high volume - mind you - I would have as well!

Cheers

Bez+

Bez+":1plodmvv said:
I luv herfrds":1plodmvv said:
I figure you got a better chance of being hit by lightening than being hurt by a grizzly - oh, yes I have been hit by lightening! I think it was 1984 at 1000 feet above the ocean about 5 miles north and west of Port Hardy. I am still here.
Bez+
What were you doing at 1000 feet? Out wing walking in a thunderstorm? :shock:

Ryder":2gdysp33 said:
Bez+":2gdysp33 said:
I luv herfrds":2gdysp33 said:
Bez+
What were you doing at 1000 feet? Out wing walking in a thunderstorm? :shock:

Despite all the things I do on here, at the farm and in the middle east for yet another year - now moving to Syria - I am also a military pilot - nothing too grand - just pushing metal around the sky - tend to be away a lot. Wife actually does the work - I personally own no cattle any more. I gave them all to her.

It hit the nose - came into the cockpit - fired and smoked in the cockpit, fried some avionics and melted the radar down - burned some of the parachute in the seat pack I was sitting on - then it seemed to sit there in front of me for about what seemed like an hour and sizzled before it left the cockpit - went back into the fuselage - blew an engine - went out the wing - and blew a big hole in the wing as it kissed me good bye.

I flew flew home and landed.

In all actuality it happened so fast it was over before it started.

Took a week to get the jet serviceable and then I hit a bunch of birds on take off on the initial test flight - got it back on the ground - wrecked for another week - maintenance officer was not happy.

Just another day at the office.

Sorry for the hijack

Bez+

Latest posts