A little self-promotion here: I wrote a book!

Help Support CattleToday:

CowboyBlue

Reaction score
Ladies and gentlemen, please forgive a modicum of hucksterism on my part, but I wanted to let you know that I wrote a book.

I am an avid reader, in all kinds of genres, and inevitably I have come across things that made me say to myself, "you know, I can write something better than that." So, with that in mind I began several years ago to write down a story or two that had been rattling around inside me for a while. One of them captured my attention and I spent a significant amount of spare time writing on it. My youngest son especially encouraged me to keep writing and I did. But I never really put the effort in to finish and get it published until last year, when the whole coronavirus shutdown happened and I was left at home with little to occupy my time. So I finished my book and submitted it to Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing. It was accepted, and before I knew it I had a book on Amazon. It has been a very gratifying experience.

Now, why would I mention this here? Because there are cows and cattle ranchers in the story, along with tractors, hay, feed stores, pickups and trailers and other things that several of us seem to enjoy. There is also mystery, romance, a ghost story, and a little spiritual commentary. Don't get me wrong; it is not a religious book by any means, but it is not something you would be embarrassed to have on your coffee table when the preacher or the ladies from your Sunday School class come over to visit.

It is entitled The Last Homecoming: A Texas Gothic Tale, and there have been several favorable reviews so far. It is available on Amazon.com for your Kindle reader or as a paperback. I invite you to take a look at it, and if you choose to read it, I sincerely hope you enjoy it!

Attachments

• The Last Homecoming paperback.jpg
    The Last Homecoming paperback.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
Good deal... I have 3 books in my head, but i'm not a writer. Does Amazon have editors? or do they publish the book as it is? I know if i wrote something it would have to be combed over with a fine tooth something or another..lol...

Congratulations and thanks for sharing the name of your book. I'm going to Amazon right not to check it out.

Thanks y'all. As far as writing and editing go, that was all on me. I self-edit as I write so my process is painfully slow. And there were a couple of mistakes found by careful readers and one journalism professional when it first came out, so I guess my editing leaves something to be desired after all. However with Kindle Direct I retained the original digital copy and had the opportunity to re-edit.

I plan on finishing my second book within the near future, Lord willing and the creek don't rise, as Granny used to say.

Thanks y'all. As far as writing and editing go, that was all on me. I self-edit as I write so my process is painfully slow. And there were a couple of mistakes found by careful readers and one journalism professional when it first came out, so I guess my editing leaves something to be desired after all. However with Kindle Direct I retained the original digital copy and had the opportunity to re-edit.

I plan on finishing my second book within the near future, Lord willing and the creek don't rise, as Granny used to say.
So, are you making enough money off this to make it worth it? What would you do if Netflix comes to you to make a movie... and i'm being serious.........

Money?? Ha! Oh, no, not at all. I have made enough money to take SweetPea out to a nice dinner a few times, but that is all. I am not very adept at advertising, and I am afraid that my book has a limited audience. Most mystery-thriller books these days have a lot of violence, sex, and/or violent sex to appeal to our more salacious natures. I don't think I could write that kind of stuff in good conscience, so I made the decision to keep it clean and not worry about sales.

Don't get me wrong. It would be nice if my stories brought in enough money to pay for a new squeeze chute, a new cattle trailer and the clearing of another pasture for more grazing. But I am happy that I got to take SweetPea to dinner.

Now, should Netflix come calling ... I would probably employ an agent to negotiate a little bit better deal for me than what I might negotiate for myself.

But a more likely scenario would have the Hallmark Channel come calling. :)

I started on one of my 'books'. I'm just not a writer.. I think my stories are good though. But, occasionally i'll go back to what i was writing and piddle with it a bit... What kind of program did you use? If i could just talk into something and have it write down, now that would be my speed.. Its all in my head, i just need to get it out in a readable form....

@cowgirl8 why can't you talk into those electronic things that all the executives do to dictate letters and stuff...and there most be something that would allow it to translate/transfer it to a computer program....???? I am no tech person, but I bet you could find something in this day and age....

@CowboyBlue ; Halfway through the book. It is good. A lot of info in the beginning, so I will go back and reread it to get some of the basic info better imprinted about the family members/relationships.....

I am enjoying it very much.

Thank you! Yeah, I guess I kind of got carried away with the characterization and the exposition there in the beginning. Hope it wasn't too awful to wade through. I am glad you are enjoying it!

Thank you! Yeah, I guess I kind of got carried away with the characterization and the exposition there in the beginning. Hope it wasn't too awful to wade through. I am glad you are enjoying it!
So, do you get mailbox checks? I've wondered how amazon does this. If it doesnt sell, do you pay a fee for it to be up for sale there?

Finished the book and would definitely recommend it. All the "guessing" I did about the ghosts and all, were off... pleasantly surprised with the twists....
Book is big and long...I am accustomed to reading books fast and many.... this one took me a little more time. Easy to put down at the end of a chapter and then come back to also.
Clean reading, good twists to the plot.

Latest posts