A little dissatisfied with the sale barn today.

Help Support CattleToday:

denvermartinfarms":2wrqe6o4 said:
Yes, your right JS. I often see people at sales who think they are seeing something wrong happening, just because they don't understand what they are seeing well enough to know what's acctually going on.
You are correct. At least once a year we have someone throw a fit because their calves didn't bring top dollar. They say they will never be back. They take them to the next market and the same thing happens. Everyone thinks they have the best calves that came through that day. Sometimes I have junk calves and they dont sell as well but I bought them as really bad junk and know what they are worth.

kenny thomas":ntyopxch said:
denvermartinfarms":ntyopxch said:
Yes, your right JS. I often see people at sales who think they are seeing something wrong happening, just because they don't understand what they are seeing well enough to know what's acctually going on.
You are correct. At least once a year we have someone throw a fit because their calves didn't bring top dollar. They say they will never be back. They take them to the next market and the same thing happens. Everyone thinks they have the best calves that came through that day. Sometimes I have junk calves and they dont sell as well but I bought them as really bad junk and know what they are worth.
Yes, every buyer in the barn stopped bidding 25$ cheaper than they were worth just because they don't want to make money, has nothing to do with quality :roll:.

denvermartinfarms":1pvfhgsu said:
kenny thomas":1pvfhgsu said:
denvermartinfarms":1pvfhgsu said:
Yes, every buyer in the barn stopped bidding 25$ cheaper than they were worth just because they don't want to make money, has nothing to do with quality :roll:.
Best way to handle an unhappy customer I ever saw happened at Navasota, TX. The owner asked the unhappy customer to walk back in the pens to look at his calf. On the way to that pen, he walked him by a set of #1's that Capital Livestock had bought. The owner asked the man did his calves look like those? They then went and found his calf and did a comparison. Customer could see the difference. Denver and Kenny, I am glad to know that we don't have a monopoly on people that think all calves are the same.

I could care less either way as long as its fair...if its not I'm coming in to talk to the owner about it.

Crappy calves are going to sell cheaper. I sold 2 dinks and was surprised at how much they brought. The smallest of the two was the oldest and a green horn lost his tail on that one. The other was bought by a heavy hitter, and I don't know why? No way a dink calf is worth 1k plus. But I did trim their tails two months ago when they got implanted, maybe that helped.

DM, you dead on. But I try and figure out why guy's like you buy what you do. I thought the calves sold for $200.+ more each than they were worth. I sold a big red cow for $99. and thought she should of been $10. to $15. more. I almost no sale her, but she sold for what I had in her and and her calf. I just can't see what the buyer's are seeing. And I feel like I'm leaving money on the table, because I can't.

highgrit":14lyved3 said:
DM, you dead on. But I try and figure out why guy's like you buy what you do. I thought the calves sold for $200.+ more each than they were worth. I sold a big red cow for $99. and thought she should of been $10. to $15. more. I almost no sale her, but she sold for what I had in her and and her calf. I just can't see what the buyer's are seeing. And I feel like I'm leaving money on the table, because I can't.
highgrit, I have paid as high as 3.55 a lb for some of those dink calves lately. I have what I will call gentlemen farmers that just want some calves that cost less than 1,000 each to eat the grass. Does it make any sense, no. Will they make any money on them, probably not. Do they care, not really. Their grass will be eaten and they are cattlemen for the summer. I wll pick them up and take them to the sale on Labor Day. That has been the plan for several years.

Just like Kenny said. I have a friend that I do something simalar for. He's in his early 70s and has a small herd of cows but also likes messing with calves, there's lots of things he could buy and make better money on than the little knot heads, but he's not very interested in buying 6wt bulls to cut.

So about twice a year he tells me what he wants to spend on 10 calves big enough to wean. Couple months ago he said 750$ a head at about 200lbs, I got him 10 put together averaging 210lbs and added up to a average of something like 745$ a head for a mix of bulls and heifers. Lots of money for little stunted beef calves, but he will take care of them real good, sell them as 5wts in 6 months, make some money and be happy.

I guess what i'm getting at is, no matter how strange a deal like that is, if enough people start doing it, it will create a market for that particular thing, in this case it's the little poor doing calves that have became popular with certain people, enough people wanting them has made them cost more.

Latest posts