a little deal

Help Support CattleToday:

They used to make gates like in the picture in Dublin, Ga. I have dozens of them. If you need any for spare parts let me know, M5.

Higher number of gates in use than I expected :shock: Are you guys using hinged metal gates in pastures also?

I come up with 21 gates total on my summer place. 23 if you want to count dropwires. Only 5 of those are metal gates (Sioux/Whoa) in the corral. The rest are barbed wire pasture gates.

At the home place there are 33 barbed wire gates, 2 dropwires, and 8 metal gates in the corral (4 Sioux, 1 green Farmmaster, 2 red Farmmaster, 1 HiQual)

So if I counted correctly, my final total gate count would be a comparable 62 gates, but only 13 of them are hinged metal gates :???:

FWIW, I counted 83 tires. That's counting cars, pickups, truck, tractors, atv, lawn mower, implements, trailers, even included the wheelbarrow :p Not including vehicle spares.

If I include a couple sets of tractor duals I haven't had on for some time, that makes 87 :shock:

I have 10 just in my small working pens and that does not count the ones I have wired to post and use as panels.

John SD":arzmx4gz said:
Higher number of gates in use than I expected :shock: Are you guys using hinged metal gates in pastures also? I come up with 21 gates total on my summer place. 23 if you want to count dropwires. Only 5 of those are metal gates (Sioux/Whoa) in the corral. The rest are barbed wire pasture gates.

Yes, I use hinged gates in pastures. I hate the barbed wire gates (I grew up calling them gaps), and I hate them more as I get older. I replaced the last one at home about 1-1/2 years ago, and only have one at a rent pasture. I haven't changed it out because both posts are bois d'arc, probably older than I am, and as hard as a rock. I doubt if I could get a hole drilled in one of them to hang a gate even if they were straight enough.

I counted 18 at home, on 22 acres, and that's not counting yard gates.

Rafter S":a6zaa8qp said:
John SD":a6zaa8qp said:
Higher number of gates in use than I expected :shock: Are you guys using hinged metal gates in pastures also? I come up with 21 gates total on my summer place. 23 if you want to count dropwires. Only 5 of those are metal gates (Sioux/Whoa) in the corral. The rest are barbed wire pasture gates.

Yes, I use hinged gates in pastures. I hate the barbed wire gates (I grew up calling them gaps), and I hate them more as I get older. I replaced the last one at home about 1-1/2 years ago, and only have one at a rent pasture. I haven't changed it out because both posts are bois d'arc, probably older than I am, and as hard as a rock. I doubt if I could get a hole drilled in one of them to hang a gate even if they were straight enough.

Same here--gaps--and I detest them. Dang tangled up mess everytime ya want to close one and you can never get them closed as tight as the rest of the fence. I have one or 2 left, but fixing to just stretch wire across the openings permanently since I never use them anyway.

M5farm":3w3bm68h said:
highgrit":3w3bm68h said:
They'll be $30.00 dollars at the auction. They look in good shape and should keep a cow in.

yea probably. Their brand new. The JD dealer listed them on CL. when I got there he said he was told to get rid of them they were over a yr old. I looked for the expiration date but could find one.

They are worth the money spent. You can buy far worse gates in lot of places today.

some day you will need a gate. In a hurry. You'll be really glad you have one.

Rafter S":1cnw5iy7 said:
[/quote]

:shock:

My smallest holding pasture near the corral is about 5 acres with 2 gates. My largest pasture is a 3/4 section with 9 gates around the perimeter. All barbed wire gates. One of them into the SE corner of the neighbor's hayfield which is the NE1/4 of the section.

My hayfields currently have no fence on the section line side where the road is. Neighbor's side is pasture and fenced. I have contemplated fencing my hayfields out so I could use them for pasture without putting a gate across the road. That would take a mile of new fence and likely about 6 gates.

greybeard":32zb8kij said:
Rafter S":32zb8kij said:
John SD":32zb8kij said:

Same here--gaps--and I detest them. Dang tangled up mess everytime ya want to close one and you can never get them closed as tight as the rest of the fence. I have one or 2 left, but fixing to just stretch wire across the openings permanently since I never use them anyway.

Soon as you put wire across them permanently I bet you will have to start going in for some reason.

I put a temp wire gate in last year when everything was flooded. I closed it back up this summer and everytime the cows are in this field and I call them they go to where the wire gate was at and stand there and bellar

I didn't add up the barb wire gates just metal gates. I have 20 gates at home and 13 between the two summer pastures. I added up 43 tires. I would sure hate to have to replace all of them at once.

Dave":3dxiovjr said:
I didn't add up the barb wire gates just metal gates. I have 20 gates at home and 13 between the two summer pastures. I added up 43 tires. I would sure hate to have to replace all of them at once.

I lost 54 at one time once. It made me gate conscious.

Latest posts