A "Lady in waiting"

Help Support CattleToday:

Hooves are good - LOL You could see them today. Had an inch of rain, warm temps & most snow is gone. Til tomorrow!
Yes, I have anywhere from 1-4 sets. I had one set already, and a bred heifer I sold had a set (unfortunately his were both dead - mine were both alive - heifer & bull).

Simmental are fertile myrtles. So, I have always had numerous twins. But, years ago, they always seemed to get tangled up bad and "kill" each other. I really hate to actually say this (bad luck???) but, we have been having an extremely good run of cows just spitting them out.
Since my nephew moved in with my (after Ken died) we have had 1 set of twins that we had to call the vet. It was the first month Phil got here. Vet didn't have any trouble pushing one back & getting both out.
Maybe it has something to do with the smaller calves??? I still have some whoppers (110 - 125#) from cows that just likes to grow them - in & out of their bodies!!! but, can just spit them out.
Last year I had two sets of EMBRYO twins - heifers - all 4 identical pedigree from same flush. I have an ET full sib/flush mate due in about 2 weeks. As successful as they have been, I still do not like twins. Never have, never will.
One cow had her first set of twins at age of 8 in March, next year set of twins in Feb, and the next year set of twins in January. She came up open, but she is safe in calf for a fall baby.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":rapt3jz7 said:
Simmental are fertile myrtles. So, I have always had numerous twins. But, years ago, they always seemed to get tangled up bad and "kill" each other. I really hate to actually say this (bad luck???) but, we have been having an extremely good run of cows just spitting them out.
Since my nephew moved in with my (after Ken died) we have had 1 set of twins that we had to call the vet. It was the first month Phil got here. Vet didn't have any trouble pushing one back & getting both out.
Maybe it has something to do with the smaller calves??? I still have some whoppers (110 - 125#) from cows that just likes to grow them - in & out of their bodies!!! but, can just spit them out.
Last year I had two sets of EMBRYO twins - heifers - all 4 identical pedigree from same flush. I have an ET full sib/flush mate due in about 2 weeks. As successful as they have been, I still do not like twins. Never have, never will.
One cow had her first set of twins at age of 8 in March, next year set of twins in Feb, and the next year set of twins in January. She came up open, but she is safe in calf for a fall baby.
were the " natural""serviced twins parents related?

No. The old cow that had 3 sets of twins were sired by 3 different bulls.
It's really funny. When the first cow that calved embryo twins, had her first calf, we checked it and saw that it was a heifer, then I saw on the camera that she went back into labor. I told my nephew, "man, I sure hope it's a heifer, otherwise we have a dud". It didn't take me too long to say DUH. It HAD to be a heifer, because the embryo split.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":nplnlq7b said:
No. The old cow that had 3 sets of twins were sired by 3 different bulls.
It's really funny. When the first cow that calved embryo twins, had her first calf, we checked it and saw that it was a heifer, then I saw on the camera that she went back into labor. I told my nephew, "man, I sure hope it's a heifer, otherwise we have a dud". It didn't take me too long to say DUH. It HAD to be a heifer, because the embryo split.
That is not necessarily true. There could have been two eggs put in the straw. We had that where we had one red bull and one black heifer embryo twins. They are so small and it's possible to have more than one in a straw.

Latest posts