A.Iing problems

Help Support CattleToday:

T Diamond

Reaction score
I ran into a problem today trying to A.I my heifer today. I A.I'ed 2 last year and my other heifer this year. As soon as I would get ahold of the cervix and just get in she would blow up in the chute. After 3 trys , the last time in the rain I gave up and decided I would try on the next heat. Any suggestions to get her to relax and not blow up? Normally she is a very quiet and calm girl, but this set her off. I am just upset because the first time one of the others pulled her CIDR, second time- not enough Prosoglad, and now the third time. Beginning to think she is not ment to have a calf.

Thanks for any help.

Just make sure that you are trying to manipulate the cervix around the gun, and not trying to shove the gun through the cervix. Also, I hope that when you "give up" on an animal like that, that you still deposit the semen her vagina. No sense wasting a straw, there is still a chance(albeit much smaller chance) that she'll get bred. As you get better at A.I. , you won't even be in there long enough hardly for her to jump around, it is just much more difficult when you haven't done alot of it. Sorry if I've offended you, I just realized that maybe you are plenty experienced at it and I'm just assuming otherwise, anyway, good luck to you.

Small rancher, you did not offend me. I did a.i my cow last year and got her on the first try. Last year I did 1 more cow and 2 heifers that belong to family, but I do not know if they took due to them not being preg checked. I was able to a.i my other heifer with no problem twice. Waiting on the 21 day mark to see if she took. Just having a tough time with this one. Good for mr the semen was not expensive. I have a bull that I was using this semen for the first time heifers. Wasted 3 straws- dropped to gun the first time she blew up, took to long the second time, it started pouring down rain the third try. She is a tough one, her cervix is really difficult to keep ahold of and move over the gun.That is when she blew up.

Thanks

see my comment on Alan's thread just below this one (at the moment) PM me if you need a more graphic description ;-)

Latest posts