A.I.

Help Support CattleToday:

The basic equipment to actually AI is not expensive. The nitrogen refrigerator (semen tank) is expensive but you may be able to store the semen in somebody elses tank. You can do it yourself, but, you need to attend a good school to learn how. For a single cow you may be able to get a local vet to do the breeding for you, or a local dairy, or even the local semen supplier.

dunmovin farms

> ive been curious about A.i. I
> would like to get a angus heifer
> and do AI but is it expensive? can
> you do it yourself?
> thanks....scott

While still considering learning to AI myself, for this year I got with a fellow who owns and operates a dairy, and lives about 4 miles from me. It's working out real well -- as soon as I notice one of the cow's starting to "act frisky" I call and leave a message on his answering machine letting him know that it's almost time. I call him again when the cow goes into standing heat, and he comes over and AI's her within in the next 12 hours.

Personally though, I would like to learn to do it myself -- my thinking being that not only would it easier with my tiny herd (5 animals), but I could also help my dad with the development of his Registered Red Angus herd by AI'ing some of his cows to superior bulls.

Ann B

> The basic equipment to actually AI
> is not expensive. The nitrogen
> refrigerator (semen tank) is
> expensive but you may be able to
> store the semen in somebody elses
> tank. You can do it yourself, but,
> you need to attend a good school
> to learn how. For a single cow you
> may be able to get a local vet to
> do the breeding for you, or a
> local dairy, or even the local