A.I.

Help Support CattleToday:

p2p

Reaction score
Hello

We have one cow and two heifers that did not get bred while we had a bull with them.
They are all longhorns that we raise for roping cattle.
My husband wants to look into getting the three A.I.'d, but I don't know the cost or the procedure and if it would even be worth it for three animals. Is anyone here in that industry?
I am in california and i have checked online with some companies and don't see any that carry longhorn semen.
Any input would be appreciated

Thank you
PP

If the bull was in their for a sufficient amount of time and they did not get bred, there is probably something wrong with the females. A.I. can be pretty costly, having a bull in with them is generally more effective. If you are interested in A.I., find a company that will have a tech come to your area. You will have to be really good at detecting heat and have an effective way to quickly restrain the animal. Genex has two longhorn bulls right now, here is the webpage:
http://genex.crinet.com/beef/index.php? ... on=RESULTS

Googling "Longhorn Semen" gives plenty of hits for suppliers, including Bovine Elite, with semen starting at $10 a straw. You shouln't have any trouble finding it. Follow a CIDR protocol and you should have about $50-$100 per cow invested if there is an AI tech in your area.

There are lots of Longhorn bulls out there that are a.i. certified and can get semen on. Bovine Elite is the supplier with the most numbers. We had our two bulls collected at Ultimate Genetics and have had them advertised through them. If you check our website www.shopSandDollarRanch.com and go to Herd Sires we have semen on the two bulls NP Redeemer's Redemption and Sanddollar Samsonite, and can have it shipped anywhere in the U.S.

If you are interested in either of our bulls, or would like any help finding bulls feel free to ask or pm me. I could help you find a bull that matches what you want with your cows. Are you looking for anything specific in an a.i. sire?

Ryan

LoveMoo11":girbfibb said:
If the bull was in their for a sufficient amount of time and they did not get bred, there is probably something wrong with the females. A.I. can be pretty costly, having a bull in with them is generally more effective. If you are interested in A.I., find a company that will have a tech come to your area. You will have to be really good at detecting heat and have an effective way to quickly restrain the animal. Genex has two longhorn bulls right now, here is the webpage:
http://genex.crinet.com/beef/index.php? ... on=RESULTS

If it was just the three females and none settled I'd be looking closely at the bull, if the three didn't settle but the rest of a bigger herd did settle, then I agree the females might be subfertile.

Thank you everyone. You gave me exactly the information I was looking for.
We got the bull the middle of september and he went home the middle of november because he was looking at our neighbors registered angus herd.
We have four pairs, the calves are about 8 months now, and five heifers.
Everything bred back but the one cow and two heifers. I am suspicious that the heifers might be subfertile, but the cow had a really nice first calf last spring, don't know if that means anything fertility wise.
So I guess the bull had about 70 days to breed 9 females. Don't know if that is sufficient or not.
Anyway, again, I appreciate the help.

Thanks so much
PP

That bull shouldn't be looking over the fence if he still has work to do at home. The first calf heifers are the hardest to rebreed in a timely manner, especially if they are raising a big calf. 70 days is plenty of time, look into the CIDR protocol, it will jump start any that are not cyclying.

Gosh, thanks again for all the good input
Yes the calves are quite big and of course with just four, we have not weaned anything.
We also thought that he must have everything bred when he started pushing the fence for the neighbor cow. And those angus females kept getting out and into our yard. Recipe for trouble, so we sent him home a little early.
The cow that didn't breed back has had two real good heats since the bull left. She was also the first in heat when he came and that bull shadowed her crazy. I was sure he had bred her.
The other two heifers had good heats before the we had the bull and have had a couple of good ones since he left. Our steers are great heat detectors, we have six of them.
We aren't looking for anything registered, we just would like a smaller size bull with good horn base.
The restraint we have is the roping chute and the stripping chute. Don't know if that is sufficient to A.I. or not. That is how we doctor and worm.
Anyway, thanks again
PP

Latest posts