A.I.

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Where can I find the Nitrogen coolers and how long will the seman stay viable in these containers?<br>Also, ignoring the benefits of improved genetics by A.I. has anyone run the numbers on the break even point for number of heifers to breed by buying and keeping a bull versus buying straws. Assume bull costs $1,200 and average straw costs $25.
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

Any A.I stud should sell tanks, and if kept filled the semen will last virtually forever.<p>As for cost/benefit, one bull will service 15 heifers as a yearling and an average of 25-30 the next. Year one 15 heifers at $25 with 5 repeat breedings and a $5 cost for the technician,(might have to pay more for single breedings) $600.<p>Second year, 30 head with 10 repeats, $1200.<p>A $1200 bull won't give you very good calves, but for $25 a straw you can buy a pretty good nationally proven sire. The calves could weigh easily 100 pounds more at weaning.<p>Jason Trowbridge<br>Southern Angus Farms<br>Alberta Canada
<br>

[email protected]

Any idea on how to find an A.I. stud in my area? I only moved here last May. Is there a published directory or just get in touch with a vet?
<br>

[email protected]

Your vet might know, contact ABS and they should have a rep in your area. Other firms will likely also be around, but ABS is the biggest(not meaning the best, but most available).<p>There is a list of links to A.I. outfits at http://www.angus.org one should have a rep close by that can get you started.<p>I know a few areas, Nebraska around North Platte, bull barn genetics. Iowa, Hawkeye Breeders. Montana, Billings, Hawkeye West. If your not close to one of those, keep looking. There are lots around.<p>Jason Trowbridge<br>Southern Angus Farms<br>Alberta Canada
<br>

[email protected]

You should check with some of the Lab-supply vendor in the San Diego area...organizations that supply medical Lab equipment to emerging companys like Invitrogen.<p>: Where can I find the Nitrogen coolers and how long will the seman stay viable in these containers?<br>: Also, ignoring the benefits of improved genetics by A.I. has anyone run the numbers on the break even point for number of heifers to breed by buying and keeping a bull versus buying straws. Assume bull costs $1,200 and average straw costs $25.<p>
<br>

[email protected]