• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

A.I.?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Guest
Would it be better for me to Attend a school for A.I. or have someone esle do the A.I.? This is not cattle country, north florida, really dont know where to find someone to do it. Any ideas on good schools, I dont mind traveling to go.

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Guest
If you attend AI school it gives more flexibility as to when you breed and in some cases what bulls you use. If you have someone lse breed for you it would have to be done at his/her schedule. That would require a synchronization program with availability of the required materials/drugs. This is based on your not being "in cattle country". With timed insemination the conception rate is lower then observed heat breeding. The expense would be pretty well up there if you don't have a tech in your loality. Most large animal vets can do AI, if there are any dairys in your area they probably have a technician. Things to consider if you are off the beaten path for the AI studs are how/where will you get your nitrogen tank filled, semen and other supplies. None of these are insurmountable but you should be aware of them. Some hospitals and doctors offices are reularly serviced by nitrogen suppliers. But the folks that fill them it seems like charge way more then the studs do. There is a good reputaion school I think in KS but I'm sure others have better knowledge of that. If your far enough north you might want to look at neighboring states. Check with the major AI studs, Select Sires, ABS, CRI/Genex and see if they have a rep that services your area.

dun

> Would it be better for me to
> Attend a school for A.I. or have
> someone esle do the A.I.? This is
> not cattle country, north florida,
> really dont know where to find
> someone to do it. Any ideas on
> good schools, I dont mind
> traveling to go.
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Guest
> If you attend AI school it gives
> more flexibility as to when you
> breed and in some cases what bulls
> you use. If you have someone lse
> breed for you it would have to be
> done at his/her schedule. That
> would require a synchronization
> program with availability of the
> required materials/drugs. This is
> based on your not being "in
> cattle country". With timed
> insemination the conception rate
> is lower then observed heat
> breeding. The expense would be
> pretty well up there if you don't
> have a tech in your loality. Most
> large animal vets can do AI, if
> there are any dairys in your area
> they probably have a technician.
> Things to consider if you are off
> the beaten path for the AI studs
> are how/where will you get your
> nitrogen tank filled, semen and
> other supplies. None of these are
> insurmountable but you should be
> aware of them. Some hospitals and
> doctors offices are reularly
> serviced by nitrogen suppliers.
> But the folks that fill them it
> seems like charge way more then
> the studs do. There is a good
> reputaion school I think in KS but
> I'm sure others have better
> knowledge of that. If your far
> enough north you might want to
> look at neighboring states. Check
> with the major AI studs, Select
> Sires, ABS, CRI/Genex and see if
> they have a rep that services your
> area.

> dun Dun, Since you AI, can you tell me what the average cost is per straw? I know the price will vary, but what is the average?



[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Guest
I think the name of the school in kansas that dun was thinking of is the Graham School in Garnett Kansas , I've been thinking of attending they AI and pregnancy checking

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Guest
I think the name of the school in kansas that dun was thinking of is the Graham School in Garnett Kansas , I've been thinking of attending they teach Ai and pregnancy checking

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Guest
The various studs have different pricing policys. Select Sires is genreally highest, followed by CRI/Genex and ABS being the lest expensive. Depending on the breed or if if it's a specilty breed $12to $18 per unit will get you some awfully good bulls. A $20 bull is a real standout. Sometimes younger low EPD accuracy bulls can be had for less, $8 - $10. Some older bulls that are very prolific semen producers can be had in the same price range. I just did a brief glance at th Select Sires rice list for blk Angus, average price is between $10 -$15 and some of these are pretty high reputation bulls. E=mail the different studs and request their catalogs, they'll include their latest proce list. BTW those are beef bulls, dairy stuff runs substantually higher.

dun
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Guest
price also depends on whether or not you are dealing with registered animals. sometimes the semen is relatively inexpensive but to register you will need to purchase a certificate which often costs us around $150-200. with some breeds you have to purchase the semen & certificate at the same time for around the $150-200 price, so for each straw of semen you get a certificate. i was breeding cows for someone else the year after i had taken the a.i. class when he told me that i was using $200 semen.....sure makes you a little more nervous.

another thing to consider w/a.i. is how many cows you will be breeding or how often you will be breeding. it's kind of like riding a bike in that i don't think you ever forget, but it's also like anything else, the more you do it the better you get.
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Guest
I hadn't bred a cow in about 5 years when we got started again. The first cow was a heifer and although she did settle, things kind of felt alien in there. The next cow was an old 7 year old and everything was exagerated in size and was a piece of cake. After that they werre all easy. Just needed a bit of refresher. Some folks I bred for last year had semen from the first homozygous black homozygous polled bull. $400 bucks a unit. only got about 3 out of 10 to settle. They had another guy breed a bunch of them with the same semen, nothing settled. I had the vet look at a little dribble from a starw this year and as poor of quality as it was I was surprised anything settled. Independent source, no gaurantee, no recourse. Stick with the major studs that are CSS certified. To keep their certification they have very stringent quality standards. Plus you will have bulls with higher accuracy EPDs to work with

dun

With most breeds you can buy the certificate seperatly and only after the calf is born and you decide if you want to register it or not.

> price also depends on whether or
> not you are dealing with
> registered animals. sometimes the
> semen is relatively inexpensive
> but to register you will need to
> purchase a certificate which often
> costs us around $150-200. with
> some breeds you have to purchase
> the semen & certificate at the
> same time for around the $150-200
> price, so for each straw of semen
> you get a certificate. i was
> breeding cows for someone else the
> year after i had taken the a.i.
> class when he told me that i was
> using $200 semen.....sure makes
> you a little more nervous.

> another thing to consider w/a.i.
> is how many cows you will be
> breeding or how often you will be
> breeding. it's kind of like riding
> a bike in that i don't think you
> ever forget, but it's also like
> anything else, the more you do it
> the better you get.
 

Latest posts

Top