A.I.

Help Support CattleToday:

Danny

Reaction score
I want to start A.I.ing some of my cattle next year and have never done it before. I've got a few questions... Do the heat synchronization products work well? Are they worth it? When I see that a cow is in heat, does she have to be in standing heat before she can be inseminated? Also, where is a good place to buy a semen tank from? Any and all advice/comments are appreciated.

You might check the classifieds section, sometimes semen tanks show up there. Most of the people I know that AI use Select Sires, but there are lots more companies out there and plenty good people on these boards that can help. If you can find someone local that AI's they should be able to help also.

Danny":hi7lyken said:
I want to start A.I.ing some of my cattle next year and have never done it before. I've got a few questions... Do the heat synchronization products work well? Are they worth it? When I see that a cow is in heat, does she have to be in standing heat before she can be inseminated? Also, where is a good place to buy a semen tank from? Any and all advice/comments are appreciated.

your highest conception rates will be w/a natural standing heat (a.i. 12 hours later). some synchronization products (cidr/lutalyse/prostaglandin) w/heat detection can get you conception rates almost as high as a natural heat.....these would be suggested if you're doing lots of cows or aren't available to observe natural heats. there are various products that can help you w/heat detection as well such as patches and paint. or you can use a teaser bull.

have you taken an a.i. class? this would be highly recommended before beginning to try to a.i. they will teach you all the basics including estrus detection and synchronization.

If you haven't take the A.I. class you should do it first or you are planing to hired a Vet for your A.I. program?

Danny":1ozf4vwr said:

Latest posts