A.I. vs. Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Hasbeen

Reaction score
I'm sure you veterans have had this discussion before but I've missed it. What are some of the pros and cons of artificial insemination for the small breeder? I'm interested in cost, availability, difficulty, is a vet required? I don't know of anyone in my area who does it and I've wondered why not. Would it require me to spend a lot of time with my heifers and a thermometer?

I don't know a whole bunch about this end of the spectrum but I can share with you what I do. There are plently of knowledgable people on this board who I'm sure will give you more helpful advice once they see this post. Okay.

AI: You can bring superior genetics into your herd without having the buy the actual bull. There are classes that will teach (i think certify) you to do it but I'd always recommend having an actual vet do it. More chance that she'll take and less chance that something goes wrong. I personally prefer AI simply because you can pick the exact bull you want, and with control over its EPDs and you can bring in genetics from other places to your own herd.

NATURAL: I've drawn a blank on what I was going to say as far as this. Now of course if you only had one bull you're still picking the exact bull you want, but you've got 1. another head to feed and 2. no variety.

A few people I know will AI all their heifers, then run a bull with them for a few months just for those that might not've took. Hope I can be of at least a little help. (Now of course...depending on the herd size...AIng all of them may not be feasible)

As Jaydill said....with A.I. you have the chance to bring in better bulls into your herd. You can pick bulls that have already proved themselves. You can more compliment each cow individually. If you have a cow that is leathery in the front, you can choose a bull for that cow that is known to clean up the front end. If you have a cow that needs some more meat in the rear you can choose a bull that compliments her.

The downside to A.I. is there is lots more time involved, you have to watch for heat cycle, you have to haul them or have someone come to your place to breed them, unless you learn yourself. You call have less accuracy on A.I. maybe only around 60% bred, some times better some times worse. Then you have to start all over watching that cow and doing it again.

Plus for a bull, is you have less time involved watching you cattle and you will get a higher conception rate.

Downside to a bull is more of a pain in containing him, you have the cost of feeding him and vet bill etc....You will have to eventually sell and get a different bull if you are keeping your own replacements. The bull might work to better some of your cows but maybe he is not what is needed on all them. Limited genetics.

jaydill":1lrxy936 said:
There are classes that will teach (i think certify) you to do it but I'd always recommend having an actual vet do it. More chance that she'll take and less chance that something goes wrong.
[
I would much prefer having an AI Tech to do the AI than a vet. Most vets don't AI near the number of cattle as an AI Tech does. Some don't do but a few a year. Many AI Tech's do it for the biggest part of their livlihood, and will be more accurate than most vets are.

if you have only a few cows, you might be able to complete skip buying a bull.

la4angus":3k2x86fr said:
I would much prefer having an AI Tech to do the AI than a vet. Most vets don't AI near the number of cattle as an AI Tech does. Some don't do but a few a year. Many AI Tech's do it for the biggest part of their livlihood, and will be more accurate than most vets are.
My bad. That's what I meant. Honestly!

Hasbeen. Thanks for bringing this one up. AI is something that aint been done in any of my history nor my ancestors, so I am naturally curious about it and would consider it.

From my perspective, there's going to come a time my bull can't keep breeding it back to heifers because of too much inbreeding. AI is an alternative that would let me keep that good ole boy and his choice offspring too, without the expense of another bull.

Alot to be said about AI...and has been mentioned.
We had trouble settling our AI heifers so bought a bull...OK yearling..covered all the cows...worked the night shift 'cause we never saw him cover one cow but all settled.
He didn't mature as we would have liked so are considering AI again this next season.
We're a small operation and only have one calving season, in the spring so the keep cost of a bull wuill be weighed heavily.
DMc

Susie, You are right about it being discussed quite a bit and I keep reading about it here and out on the net. I have always been the do it yourself type but this looks like an activity that's going to be outside my scope. If we ever go with it that is. It does pose an acceptable alternative if someone local could convince me they know what they're doing.

Susie David":2bku2s5a said:
Alot to be said about AI...and has been mentioned.
We had trouble settling our AI heifers so bought a bull...OK yearling..covered all the cows...worked the night shift 'cause we never saw him cover one cow but all settled.
He didn't mature as we would have liked so are considering AI again this next season.
We're a small operation and only have one calving season, in the spring so the keep cost of a bull wuill be weighed heavily.
DMc

If you select heifers that will settle to AI, it doesn;t take long till a lot of those kinds of problems go away. A heifer gets the same chances as a cow, 2 strikes and the truck

dun

Has been, I am in Kentucky and I have done a little ai serviceing on my cows, but I just went to AI school in Danville with Select Sires, If you are interested I think they are getting ready to have another class. I thought it was a pretty good class, I feel comfortable that I can breed the cows. The price is not bad it was $350.00 but you get $250.00 of that back in semen. That's the deal they had when I went anyway.

Latest posts