A.I. Synchronization

Help Support CattleToday:

dgator

Reaction score
I am going to use a CIDR Synchronization method.

My ABS manual states to give a PG shot at time of removal.

The CIDR instructions states to give a PG shot 1 day prior to removal.

Which method would you use and does it matter?

Either way will work. Giving the PG the same day you pull the CIDR just saves one trip through the chute.

ENNOT":2zbq08jj said:
Either way will work. Giving the PG the same day you pull the CIDR just saves one trip through the chute.

If the shot is given when you take the plug out will it affect anything in any way? Also how long after the shot and removal do they come into heat?
Where do you get your supplies?
Thanks
Double R

I don't know,that what I'm asking.
It doesn't matter if your not using timed A.I.
When using timed A.I. I would think you would miss
your "time" if you gave the shot a day early as opposed to when you removed the CIDR.
If you give the PG shot at time of removal, they will come into heat in 96 hrs. My plan is to remove the CIDR, give PG shot and 48 hrs later give another shot of GnRH and A.I. immediately.
I buy supplies from Allivet.com

highvoltagecattleco":20eprye2 said:
I give a shot of Lute when I pull the CIDR and AI between 48 - 60 hours. At AI a shot of GNRH.

We leave the CIDR in 10 days and give shot of Lut when pulling them. Then we watch for standing heat and breed 12 hours after observing it. Got some that we are pulling CIDR and Lut'ing this Saturday evening.

I have thought about Giving the GHRH shot and breeding those that I do not catch in standing heat. But I am hopping I catch them all.

I cant ever find them in a standing heat. This year none of them showed a standing heat. I thought I did something wrong. I talked to a friend of mine who uses the same method as I do and he said his didn't show either. Maybe I need to leave the CIDR in 10 days. Currently I leave it in 7. What made you decide to go 10 days? Always looking for ways to have more success.

highvoltagecattleco":203m8krv said:
I cant ever find them in a standing heat. This year none of them showed a standing heat. I thought I did something wrong. I talked to a friend of mine who uses the same method as I do and he said his didn't show either. Maybe I need to leave the CIDR in 10 days. Currently I leave it in 7. What made you decide to go 10 days? Always looking for ways to have more success.

Forget where I learned it I think it was on another message board a few years ago. But it seems to bring them in sooner and closer with being in 10 days, and we have usually always been able to catch them in heat, but it does take some time watching. This year I am going to use the Kamar patches to make sure I do not miss them.

Am I missing something here? How can you leave it in 3 days
longer and they come in sooner? The progesterone released from the CIDR insert doesn't allow the ovary to begin a new cycle until the insert has been removed.I am new to A.I. and
would like to try anything that will up the %'s,please explain.

dgator":3g4e9jqd said:
I am new to A.I. and

To up the % forget the synching and breed on observed natural heats.

dun

dgator":331gvvfc said:
Am I missing something here? How can you leave it in 3 days
longer and they come in sooner? The progesterone released from the CIDR insert doesn't allow the ovary to begin a new cycle until the insert has been removed.I am new to A.I. and

I will see if I can chase down the reasoning behind it. It was explained to me some time ago, I tried it and we had better success with leaving them in longer. Not sure what the logic behind it was.

I know that pulling to early can be a problem. If the cow had by chance just cycled it would take at least 7 days before she would be able to come in again. So a little longer than 7 days, maybe an extra 1/2 day might be safer on some of them.

It doesn't matter how long you leave the CIDR in up to 14 days, according to some trials.
The CIDR controls the cycle to keep them out of heat until the CIDR is pulled and the PG is given.

The CIDR raises and lowers the progesterone levels just like it does over the 18 to 21 day cycle, but it does it in a shorter time period to get a group of cows to come in at the same time.

Timing of removal or day of the PG does not matter as much as if the cow is ready to be cycling like that. Also the person doing the AI and the quality of the semen are a huge factor in your success.

Trust me, its okay to pull the CIDR and give the PG on day 7 at the same time. Like I said it saves one trip through the chute.

Also, GnRH is not going to add to the success of the cow getting bred if the tech is not good or the semen is low quality.

Like DUn said, if you are so worried that you can't catch them in heat, don't synch. These programs are set up to get a bunch of cows in heat at the same time and to breed TAI. You can choose to check heats, but they are set up for timed-AI.

The method I will use this year:

In the chute, a shot of GnRH (fertagyl) and insert CIDR, leave the CIDR in for 7 days. The day I insert the CIDR is day # 0. After 7 days, in the chute and pull the CIDR and give a shot of PG (lutalyse). 50 to 60 hrs later in the chute and AI.

Questions for you all on my system:

1. See any problems?
2. I won't preg check, so how long would you wait to turn them in with a clean up bull? 2 weeks?

Thanks,
Alan

Alan":ktzno56d said:
The method I will use this year:

In the chute, a shot of GnRH (fertagyl) and insert CIDR, leave the CIDR in for 7 days. The day I insert the CIDR is day # 0. After 7 days, in the chute and pull the CIDR and give a shot of PG (lutalyse). 50 to 60 hrs later in the chute and AI.

Questions for you all on my system:

1. See any problems?
2. I won't preg check, so how long would you wait to turn them in with a clean up bull? 2 weeks?

Thanks,
Alan

Just that your percentages are going to be a lot less than if you observed heat. If I did do timed breeding I think I would go with the extra shot of Gnrh at the time of breeding, suppose to increase the odds on timed breeding from what I have heard.

Latest posts