A.I. Success

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
I read a post a few days ago, don't remember who's the author, but they stated the had bought 5 straws of a bull and used 3. Of the 3 they used they got 3 calves, I thought that was a great (unusual percentage), not saying it didn't happen just hoping that was the odds or close to it.

So my question is; if you have someone who is pretty good at A.I. what kind of conception rate can you expect?

Thanks,
Alan

Being good at A.I. is the easy part. Being good at heat detection and timing the insemination is the what gets you the high conception rates.

I have heard about 60% with sync , and higher with just watching them for heat.

dun (who i believe more than anyone on this board) will boast a 90%+ rate.

good AI techs will be in the 60-70% range.

it also matters how many you are talking about. using 3 samples (3 cows) will not be representative and could have just as like been 3, 2, 1 or 0 bred. either way, the person was very lucky and obviously knew what they were doing (since the cows got bred).

Aero":2sw1k1et said:
dun (who i believe more than anyone on this board) will boast a 90%+ rate.
Heck yeah. Dun is so good that he told us a year or so ago that peoople hire him to come in and clean up after the clean up bulls. And this is the truth

7 out of 9 is my best so far, the average is more like 50% :(

Best year -90% on first go around.

Worst year - around 55% on first go around.

We generally average about 65 - 70% tops on first go.

Bez!

Our ai heifers are due 2/13 we had our first today we sycronized and heat checked we did 30 heifers last spring the first day there were 19 in standing heat the way it looks we had a good catch but I will know more in 2 weeks.

The cows we ai'ed are due 3/15 so who knows they didnt cycle as hot as the heifers and we time bred those.