A.I. sire certification

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
Just curious. What does it take for a bull to qualify as an A.I. sire? More specifically with Gelbvieh bulls. I am assuming they have to be DNA tested but what other qualifiers are needed?

I'm sure the Gelbvieh assoc. website would have the requirements. For Red Angus all it takes is a DNA test on file.

Yeah Dun I checked but didn't see anything but I was using my Blackberry which limits my searching.

Just got done doing one Hoss. You need to initiate the process with the AGA. Call them and tell them you want to parent verify your bull so you can get an AI permit. They will send you a kit so that you can collect DNA samples on the subject animal and his dam (and sire if it is sired by a herdbull and not AI). You will need to submit samples to Igenity on the individual and the dam using this kit. Cost is $30 per sample. If you do the bull and cow (assuming the sire is an AI sire) it will cost $60. If you do the sire as well, it is $90. Don't remember what the permit costs then as I have no officially gotten one on my bull yet, I just have the parent verification done.

CK, the sire is an AI bull but finding the dam may be an issue. I am not sure if she has been sold or not. I guess I would need to track her down if I were to ever attempt certification.

HOSS":352shwr5 said:
CK, the sire is an AI bull but finding the dam may be an issue. I am not sure if she has been sold or not. I guess I would need to track her down if I were to ever attempt certification.
In the past I have been able to get an AI permit even when the dam had died. If she is alive somewhere, they will want a sample. If she is dead, they will still issue you and AI permit as long as your bull matches to his sire.