A.I. School

Help Support CattleToday:

Ryan

Reaction score
A friend of mine is interested in taking an A.I. certification class/clinic. I have told him about the ones offered at Bovine Elite and Ultimate Genetics. However, he lives just north of Dallas (Denton) and was wondering if there were any closer to him. Does anyone know of any in/around the DFW area?

Thanks,

Ryan

I don't know of any in that area, but i would tell him to start calling his local reps from the big semen companies. They will tell you when and where they are offering classes.

Ryan":1c9usav0 said:
A friend of mine is interested in taking an A.I. certification class/clinic. I have told him about the ones offered at Bovine Elite and Ultimate Genetics. However, he lives just north of Dallas (Denton) and was wondering if there were any closer to him. Does anyone know of any in/around the DFW area?

Thanks,

Ryan

Yes. Call Vernon.

FRIEDRICH BREEDING SERVICE, 711-CR-162, GAINESVILLE, TX
940-727-1056 940-665-4952 940-372-0558
VERNON OFFICE JOE
FRIEDRICH WILKERSON

2009 AI/PALPATION SCHOOL SCHEDULE

MARCH 9/10/11, 2009 MUENSTER, TX - MUENSTER SALE BAR

JUNE 8/9/10, 2009 NCTC/ABS GAINESVILLE, TX - MUENSTER SALE BARN

OCTOBER 14/15/16, 2009 MUENSTER , TX - MUENSTER SALE BARN - This date changed to September....see below.

Edited for date correction.

CHANGE IN DATES

SEPTEMBER 14/15/16, 2009 MUENSTER, TX
MUENSTER SALE BARN

IF YOU HAVE SOMEONE TO ATTEND OR KNOW SOMEONE WHO WOULD LIKE TO ATTEND PLEASE CALL, MAIL, OR E-MAIL FOR AN APPLICATION

OFFICE-- 940-665-4952

CELL—940-727-1056

E-MAIL—[email protected]

Does anybody have an idea what a three day A.I. / Palp class costs? I am wanting to attend one but want to get an idea what the class cost and total cost after hotels and meals.

Thanks

HOSS":2hp16uvu said:
Does anybody have an idea what a three day A.I. / Palp class costs? I am wanting to attend one but want to get an idea what the class cost and total cost after hotels and meals.

Thanks

Hoss,

I attended a 4-day class put on by All West/Select Sires last year. I seem to recall that it was $500.00 for the class.

--Marc

The one i am going to take is put on by kaba/select sires and it's an a.i. course. It's 350 and you get 200 worth of free semen after completion.

HOSS":1linbmzx said:

Thanks

You might check with the guy offering the AI school that I listed. He's an ABS rep and does AI and palp classes, too. He might be able to put you in touch with the ABS guy in your area. Or he may be offering that class sometime this year himself.

HOSS":i5bco8u6 said:

Thanks

Hoss if I remember correctly Genex quoted me like 450 dollars for the class there in Alabama. I did not ask how much the on farm ai course was. I was scared to.

Brother in law works for Coba Select Sires said $500.00 for class and after you get 5 $100.00 gift certs from SS.Hope this helps.

Mississippi State is offering an A/I school in March for $150. Thurs night,all day Friday and a 1/2 Sat.

This may sound a little out there, but if he does not mind some travel, I would suggest the one offered by the Mississippi State Extension Service, held at Mississippi State University in Starkville, MS each March and October. I attended this one last year and it was very good. The best part was that they have a very good setup that allows for practice on many, many head. The class is a Thursday evening through Saturday afternoon, and was only $150 when I went. Even with a two night hotel stay, this was my least expensive option with excellent results. My AI calves are hitting the ground now. Check out this website for more information. http://msucares.com/livestock/beef/aischool.html

Smoky

I pm'd back and forth with smoky some about the msu class. He had a good experience with it and I called and talked to the guy that heads it up and had a great conversation on the content. I signed up for the March 12-14th class. Anybody else from the board want to go? Maybe we can meet up for dinner or something. I envision having some AI calves next year. I am pretty stoked :banana:

HOSS":2980iv4s said:
I pm'd back and forth with smoky some about the msu class. He had a good experience with it and I called and talked to the guy that heads it up and had a great conversation on the content. I signed up for the March 12-14th class. Anybody else from the board want to go? Maybe we can meet up for dinner or something. I envision having some AI calves next year. I am pretty stoked :banana:

Hoss I would but I dont want to drive down to mississippi. I took my bull down to Genex Alabama today to get him collected. He is staying there a week. I asked about their ai classes and they stated they can do on farm and or classes. They advised cheaper on farm but the young fella working there was not able to tell me exactly much. He advised me who to contact. I will be contacting them in the coming days. Real nice facility down there in Ft. Payne. Randy Owen had a hereford bull down there getting collected that he had sold half interest in for 50,000. There was another fella from South Carolina that had a High headed camp cooley brangus bull that he paid 20,000 dollars for there. The fella bought two at 20,000 each and had to send one to the sale barn for temperament problems. They had a great big ole charolais bull there that weighed probably 2500 pounds. The fella there said that bull gave 580 units of semen this morning when they collected and had given 100 on monday when they collected him.

cowman30":3e9ia14l said:
HOSS":3e9ia14l said:

Hoss I would but I dont want to drive down to mississippi. I took my bull down to Genex Alabama today to get him collected. He is staying there a week. I asked about their ai classes and they stated they can do on farm and or classes. They advised cheaper on farm but the young fella working there was not able to tell me exactly much. He advised me who to contact. I will be contacting them in the coming days. Real nice facility down there in Ft. Payne. Randy Owen had a hereford bull down there getting collected that he had sold half interest in for 50,000. There was another fella from South Carolina that had a High headed camp cooley brangus bull that he paid 20,000 dollars for there. The fella bought two at 20,000 each and had to send one to the sale barn for temperament problems. They had a great big ole charolais bull there that weighed probably 2500 pounds. The fella there said that bull gave 580 units of semen this morning when they collected and had given 100 on monday when they collected him.

cowman, it's only a 5 hour drive for me so that aint too bad. Class cost is 150.00 which I thought was very cheap. There is about 18 hours of instruction total. It seems like a good bang for the buck.

Sound like a deal Hoss. The ABS school i did was a week, cost $500.00 with $250.00 back in semen credit. they didn't have any semen i wanted so i talked them into letting me have a new AI kit and some sync. drugs. Hope i works for you.

Red Bull Breeder":fx7nwut5 said:
Sound like a deal Hoss. The ABS school i did was a week, cost $500.00 with $250.00 back in semen credit. they didn't have any semen i wanted so i talked them into letting me have a new AI kit and some sync. drugs. Hope i works for you.

Red Bull, one thing that I liked about this class is the time spent hands on. I talked to the guy that runs the class and he said that they purposley condensed the class room work in favor of field time. They spend some class room time on bull selection, anatomy, synching etc. but the majority is spent in the barn A.I.'ing cows. Smoky (one of CT's members that has taken the class) said that you A.I. so many cows your arms get tired. I learn allot better if I can be more hands-on.

To many people working on the same cows at the same time isn't the ideal way to learn but how most schools work i think. I didn't try to get in as many cows as i could, but instead tried to get in as many fresh cows as i could. You will see what i am talking about when you get there and get started. Nothing feels right after 6 or 8 people has been in there messing around.Just learn what ever thing is supposed to feel like in a fresh cow, because the ones you work on at will be that way. You will enjoy it i think, lots of good stuff to learn.

To many people working on the same cows at the same time isn't the ideal way to learn but how most schools work i think. I didn't try to get in as many cows as i could, but instead tried to get in as many fresh cows as i could. You will see what i am talking about when you get there and get started. Nothing feels right after 6 or 8 people has been in there messing around.Just learn what ever thing is supposed to feel like in a fresh cow, because the ones you work on at will be that way. You will enjoy it i think, lots of good stuff to learn.

As I stated to Hoss there were 50-60 head available, maybe more. I can emagine any other class having a better cow to student ratio, as there were maybe 25 of us there.

I will agree that once you get home and get started on cows actually in heat, you will find them easier to breed.

Smoky

BTW, had my 5th AI calf hit the ground today.

smoky":3gc3kfa9 said:

As I stated to Hoss there were 50-60 head available, maybe more. I can emagine any other class having a better cow to student ratio, as there were maybe 25 of us there.

I will agree that once you get home and get started on cows actually in heat, you will find them easier to breed.

Smoky

BTW, had my 5th AI calf hit the ground today.

The number of cows needed and the potential for internal injurys is the reason I don;t like the farm schools.

HOSS":2g5dvc9r said:
cowman30":2g5dvc9r said:
HOSS":2g5dvc9r said:

cowman, it's only a 5 hour drive for me so that aint too bad. Class cost is 150.00 which I thought was very cheap. There is about 18 hours of instruction total. It seems like a good bang for the buck.

I dont doubt that it is.

Latest posts