A.I. Bull for next year. What do you recommend?

Help Support CattleToday:

blackcowz

Reaction score
I need a fella that'll give me the bred in power and hair of a good show~bull but one that'll also have low birth weight. I'll be using him on small to medium frame cows that are mostly Angus. Also, I would like a recommendation on a Shorthorn bull to use on a blue roan cow. But my main emphasis will be on being PHA and TH free while putting LOTS of hair on my calves.
Thanks.

Well, I don't have any information about Shorthorns, but for your "mainly Angus" cows, if you don't mind if the bull is Angus or not, I would go with a Galloway. (my trademark breed) A good galloway bull with add the LOTS of hair you are looking for, and the frame size will be right. The birthweights should also be right, as-one of- the Galloways advantages is birthing ease and low (70-80lb) birthweights. You can also choose colors. If you are sticking to black, there are quite a few black and red Galloways, as well as some nice white's, which would give you white calves as it overpowers the black. Here is a link to a list of semen suppliers if you are interested: http://www.galloway-world.org/agba/semen.html

I don't know what PHA and TH free are though, so this might be totally wrong for what you are looking for.

You can also try this website: http://www.theDDRanch.com . They have whites, blacks, reds and duns. They are also in Colorado, so you may be able to even view the bull that you would be using if you bought semen from them. I don't really like the way their bulls are put together, but they keep winning at some pretty noticeable shows, so maybe I am looking for the wrong things :frowns: :???:

Sun Seeker give a lot of hair and power, maybe some attitude also though. It is for a heifer? We've had no trouble on cows at all. Not sure about SH, just don't care for them much, all hair, no muscle, hard feeders.

Well iowa,
I won't be using a show bull on any heifers just because I don't want to take a chance of not being home when I need to pull and calf. So yes, I will be using the A.I. bull on full grown cows who have had a least one baby. I've heard a lot of good things about Sun Seeker. Related to Heat Wave and Heat Seeker, isn't he?

All these bulls appear to be clean and have decent birth weights; if your cows are club calf free then your weights should be fine.

Maternal - DR. Who, King Meyer, Who Made Who (if your cows are sound the calves should be too)
Calving ease - Dirty Hairy, Rocky Balboa (both are Ali sons)
Steers- Who Made Who, About Time
Shorthorn - saw some nice calves out of Notorious, Radio Active

Check for all these bulls here. http://www.showsteers.com/NAV/semensales.htm

SunSeeker is out of Wilson (Sire, Who Made Who, Full Throttle -Dam, Heat Seeker Duaghter)

If you want shorthorn, you should also consider WHRshorthorns... I have a bull and 2 cows I bought from there in the last 2 sales. If you were closer, I'd let you have some from our boy at no charge. I'd like to get some calves on the ground from him . He's got the genetics, just gotta see what he throws.
If you do look at the WHR, you might consider AR SU LU TONIC. Tonic has been a good bull for them.. I would make you a good deal on a Tonic bull if you weren't so far. I have a 6 month Tonic boy that I am going to sell or run through the sale barn in the next 45 days...He's got some Shadybrook and some Rodeo on the momma side...
Anyway, check out the WHR stuff. They're nice folks too.

Heck, this sounds like a tradin' deal here. :D I'll be sure to look him up. Where you at? If you want to cut any kind of deal at all, I be willing to work my hiney off to make something out of the calf(ves). Could you post a pic? I'd be interested in looking at him, even if not in person.

Here is our herd bull. He's 24 months old now. We're looking forward to getting some calves out of him. I have the vet coming by this week to check 2 cows he's been with for about 60 days...His progeny includes: Rodeo Cumberland, WHR cumberland,JA Dazzle, and CF Trump:
DAZ.jpg

Here is the Bull calf that will be for sale. We just weaned him off. He's eating good, and is very calm. His progeny includes: CF Trump and WHR Robin.:
bill.jpg

Thanks for thew pics. I'll be thinking about it. But, I have to admit that SULL Sinister and Sin City are looking like some strong possibilities for next year. Thanks again. :cowboy:

personal choices would be if you want th adn pha free bulls i'd use wells fargo. big thick bull lots of hair. alias has the clean neck of WMW but none of the small feet or bad joint problems. or docter who WMW son but throws big boned and feeted calves that grow fast. both WMW bulls should throw extream hair.

He is a Heat Wave son, he does not have any calves on the ground yet. He looks good, just like most the other Heat Wave sons. He is THC. We have an Invincible (HeatWave son) calf this year, he is very balanced and sound, the other Invincible calves I saw, were the same. this is his first calf crop so I dont know how they will look when they are finished, good I hope.

Latest posts