a herf steer

Help Support CattleToday:

iowahawkeyes

Reaction score
We kept our steers (all herfs) from last year and are feeding them out, just 5 head. We had a bull calf born last year that was the biggest unassisted calf we've ever had born. 130+ pounds. Happened to be an ET calf, but we cut him of course. Anyway, we just brought him in to butcher and he weighed 1400lbs. Figured out to be a 3.25# gain per day of age. Thought that was pretty good. We'll see how he tasted in 2 weeks. The four remaining are also doing great, smaller framed and filling out nicely.

ADA of 3.25 is very good indeed. I have a bull that at 11 months has an ADA of 3.35, but he is in a growthtest at the moment.

IMG_0985_1.jpg

Here is a rib steak from that steer. It was really good. A lot of fat cover on him. I like mine medium rare. :D

iowahawkeyes":3aiwew2g said:
IMG_0985_1.jpg

Here is a rib steak from that steer. It was really good. A lot of fat cover on him. I like mine medium rare. :D

When do you consider it to be too much fat?

Jovid":1o0ovweh said:
iowahawkeyes":1o0ovweh said:
IMG_0985_1.jpg

When do you consider it to be too much fat?

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, didn't see there were comments on this.

Oh, I don't know, he didn't really look that fat out in the yard. I'd say this is just right, steak for me, a little fat for the cats.

Latest posts